The Windows 8 Thread

Forum for Technical discussions

Re: The Windows 8 Thread

Unread postby ashman1991 » 3 Mar 12, 4:39 pm

Windows 7 with a program called "Metro Apps" set to start at bootup. I bet someone will create a piece of software for Windows 7 that does exactly the same thing (if it hasn't already been done)
ashman1991

Padawan

Unread postby Novocaine » 3 Mar 12, 5:36 pm

Going to throw this on the laptop and see how it fairs. I doubt I'll be buying Win8 as it stands; as yet it doesn't really add anything I need over 7, but I would like to try it out.
PLAYGUUU AAHHHH!
Novocaine

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 3 Mar 12, 8:01 pm

So.. I've been running it on my main gaming desktop and its actually not that bad, once you get used to the hot corners and the lack of the start menu its quite good.

Everything that worked back on Windows 7 is still working so I'm happy =D

Unless you try it you don't know what its really like to use, trust me on that ;)
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

The Windows 8 Thread

Unread postby Disco LT » 3 Mar 12, 8:02 pm

Novocaine wrote:Going to throw this on the laptop and see how it fairs. I doubt I'll be buying Win8 as it stands; as yet it doesn't really add anything I need over 7, but I would like to try it out.

I doubt may I people will buy it... :D
Disco LT

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 3 Mar 12, 8:49 pm

Ash_Williams wrote:
Everything that worked back on Windows 7 is still working so I'm happy =D

If it works fine on w7, why upgrade to w8? Where are the benefits?
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby Chucky » 3 Mar 12, 8:51 pm

Artful-dodgeR wrote:Where are the benefits?

Pfft, increasing Bill's profits of course Image
Chucky

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 3 Mar 12, 9:38 pm

Its more the fact that with my job I have to keep up to date so why lag behind?
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Novocaine » 4 Mar 12, 12:03 am

Yeah, first impressions aren't so good. I'll keep playing around but I don't think I'll be "upgrading".
PLAYGUUU AAHHHH!
Novocaine

Unread postby ashman1991 » 4 Mar 12, 8:42 am

I'm just wondering how big a percent of Microsoft's profits/income come from corporate organisations. As pointed out, everything that works on Win7 will work on Win8 and apart from some small background changes (security, logging in, etc), the only big difference is Metro Apps. I know where I work there is no way something like metro apps would be put onto every computer and I'm going to assume many other places will be the same.

I'm starting to think Win8 is going to be the same as Vista - a bit of hipe at launch and a fraction of people will buy it because it's new but after a while everyone will (as already seen in this thread) realise there isn't much improvement over Win7 and not bother upgrading, as well as being completely skipped by big corporations.
ashman1991

Padawan

Unread postby Nightstaar » 4 Mar 12, 11:40 am

The difference is this will be a multi-platform OS. For people that use a desktop, laptop, phone, tablet, this 'should' make their lives much easier. It will also make us tech support guys lives easier :>
Nightstaar

Story Teller

Unread postby Jez » 4 Mar 12, 11:49 am

Colsey wrote:It will also make us tech support guys lives easier :>

Wishful thinking.
Jez

Unread postby PalZer0 » 4 Mar 12, 3:23 pm

Had a play with the consumer preview in VirtualBox and I have to say that first impressions were bad for me.

1. Half of the Metro apps don't work in Australia. The Xbox Live app and sample games are the main sticking points for me (and possibly a lot of gamers).

2. I had to fiddle around to find out how to shut down Windows. What use is hiding away the shut down/restart features?

3. No Start button on the desktop and no obvious way to enable it. This is going to be a real concern for many as having a Start button is what they're used to.

4. A personal gripe for me but I didn't like the boot logo. Fish blowing bubbles? Who thought that was a good idea?

5. The Metro interface itself is a really stupid thing to force down our throats. I have a Windows phone for that already and don't want it on my desktop PC.
DRM is like kids. The less you have, the better.

Twitter | Facebook | Steam | Xfire | Raptr
3DS Friend Code: 5386-8114-8658
PalZer0

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby i.am.Frud » 4 Mar 12, 3:33 pm

this no start button thing is going to confuse a lot of people
i.am.Frud

n00bie

Unread postby Dinwiddie » 4 Mar 12, 5:25 pm

ashman1991 wrote:I'm just wondering how big a percent of Microsoft's profits/income come from corporate organisations.

Actually, a lot of corporations, businesses, and gov. depts. have only just started migrating from XP to Win7 :)
Dinwiddie is in his second childhood, and sits gazing through the fog from his crusty cave.
Dinwiddie

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Nightstaar » 4 Mar 12, 5:45 pm

PalZer0 wrote:Had a play with the consumer preview in VirtualBox and I have to say that first impressions were bad for me.

1. Half of the Metro apps don't work in Australia. The Xbox Live app and sample games are the main sticking points for me (and possibly a lot of gamers).

Are you serious? This is a preview, of course most of the 'apps' won't work.

2. I had to fiddle around to find out how to shut down Windows. What use is hiding away the shut down/restart features?

This is kind of fair enough. Although this isn't just a new computer OS, it's a big change (aesthetically)

3. No Start button on the desktop and no obvious way to enable it. This is going to be a real concern for many as having a Start button is what they're used to.

As above...

4. A personal gripe for me but I didn't like the boot logo. Fish blowing bubbles? Who thought that was a good idea?

x_x

5. The Metro interface itself is a really stupid thing to force down our throats. I have a Windows phone for that already and don't want it on my desktop PC.

Do you even understand what Windows 8 is trying to do?

Nightstaar

Story Teller

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Chat