The Windows 8 Thread

Forum for Technical discussions

The Windows 8 Thread

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 1 Mar 12, 8:31 am

So, the Consumer Preview arrived today! Who is taking the leap and going it as your main OS?

Download here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download?ocid=W_MSC_W8P_DevCenter_Desktop_EN-US

Its a web installer I'll update with direct links shortly.

(If there is enough interest I will update the this top post further to add hints and tips for noobies)
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

Re: The Windows 8 Thread

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 1 Mar 12, 8:36 am

So I've installed it on my lil' Inspiron Duo and I'm kinda impressed. My one problem is that because it does have a puny Atom processor and 2GB of RAM that it doesn't quite run fantastically with memory usage running at 1GB without running any applications.

I think that as a tablet OS, Windows 8 will be a fantastic leap for Microsoft as it incorporates a standard UI across all their devices, Xbox, WP7 and now W8. I'll be installing it on my desktop to see how it runs and if it sucks I'll just return to Windows 7, I love Acronis <3

Shall update on what works and what doesn't =)
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby dinofreak » 1 Mar 12, 8:54 am

I hate the metro interface. It might be good on a tablet or a phone, but not on my monitor thank you.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields
dinofreak

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby BurntToast » 1 Mar 12, 8:59 am

dinofreak wrote:I hate the metro interface. It might be good on a tablet or a phone, but not on my monitor thank you.

You can disable it, at least on final build. Dont know about the preview.
All I know is my gut says maybe.
If I don't survive, tell my wife.....hello.
BurntToast

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby dinofreak » 1 Mar 12, 9:32 am

Yeah, I'm using the developer preview through TechNet. It is a registry edit to turn it off which also disables the new task manager which is annoying.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields
dinofreak

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby wayne19540 » 1 Mar 12, 9:36 am

Published
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:45 PM

Today is a big day for the Windows team. At Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain a few moments ago, we unveiled the Windows 8 Consumer Preview to our partners and press. Based on a broad range of feedback, we have made over 100,000 code changes and the Consumer Preview represents a refined product ready for broad and daily usage by those of you willing to test a pre-release OS. You can download the Consumer Preview starting now at http://preview.windows.com. If you tried the Windows 8 Developer Preview, then you are going to be delighted to see a broad range of product changes and improvements based on a feedback from many sources.

Windows 8 reimagines Windows, from the chipset to the experience. With the Developer Preview we focused on presenting the new APIs and amazing new tools for developers. Today’s Consumer Preview is focused on a broader audience, and along with improvements to the WinRT APIs based on developer feedback, we are introducing the full user experience, the Windows Store for apps, and early previews of some first- and third-party apps.

With so much to dive into, let’s talk about what is different in the Consumer Preview at a high level:
•Broad range of product changes and improvements: Since the Developer Preview in September, designed to preview the programming platform, Windows 8 has progressed across every dimension. From completing the user experience for touch, keyboard, and mouse, to refining the development platform, to improving performance, quality, and reliability across all subsystems as well as new features, the Consumer Preview represents a complete view of the capabilities of Windows 8.
•Windows Store with an “App Preview” of new apps: The Windows 8 Consumer Preview marks the opening of the Windows Store for testing. You’ll see a variety of new Metro style apps from both third-party developers and Microsoft. During the Consumer Preview, these apps are available to try and experience at no cost to users. Please note, these apps and the set of preinstalled apps are at an early stage of development and are available as an early App Preview, and will be updated via the Windows Store. In addition, the Store will offer personalized recommendations, and Windows 8 gives users the ability to take their apps and settings with them across multiple PCs, making it easy to discover and try new apps while offering developers the greatest opportunity of any platform
•Connecting to the cloud across Windows PCs and Windows Phones: You’ll experience seamless integration with the content across your web services. Optionally signing in with a Microsoft account provides access to features including the ability to roam all settings, use cloud storage, communicate with email, calendar, and contacts, and connect to a broad range of services. Your connection to the cloud works across your Windows PCs and your Windows Phones. You’ll also experience early previews of the Metro style apps for Mail, Calendar, People, Messaging, Photos, and SkyDrive.
•Internet Explorer 10 Platform Preview 5: With IE10, we reimagined the browser to create a new experience designed specifically for Windows 8 devices. It provides an edge to edge interface that is all about less browser, and more web. Fast and fluid, IE is hardware-accelerated to enable web performance. The same rendering engine and high-performance script engine is available on the Windows desktop as well.

We’ve detailed many features in this blog across all the subsystems of Windows 8. From the kernel, networking, file system, graphics, and the user interface across all of those. There’s no easy way to enumerate the depth and breadth of Windows 8 in a post. The best thing to do is experience it yourself. We encourage everyone to check out our demo video, and all the videos and information on http://preview.windows.com. From there you can also download the Consumer Preview for x86/64. For developers, there is also a beta of Visual Studio 11.

We’ll publish a quick look at system requirements for this release, but the short version is that your Windows 7 logo PC is the perfect place to start as the system requirements have not changed. You can upgrade from the Developer Preview or from Windows 7, or install cleanly (we strongly recommend a hardware installation and not a VM install if you are looking to experience the release as the vast majority will experience it, and please keep in mind the minimum screen resolution required is 1024x768). We will be updating the release with various quality updates and drivers over the coming weeks/months just to exercise our overall update and telemetry mechanisms. Please keep in mind that this is a test release of a product still under development.

We’ve got a lot more blogging to do. So stay tuned for details of the changes we made and the features we haven’t had a chance to talk about yet. This blog continues to be a big part of the development process. Now that we have this shared experience, we expect folks commenting on posts to be running the Consumer Preview so we’re all sharing the same context. We know there will be a lot of feedback—that comes from reimagining a product used by a billion people!

Happy downloading and testing!

--Steven on behalf of the Windows 8 team

wayne19540

GON's coolest grandpa

Unread postby mazmatt » 2 Mar 12, 2:08 pm

Installed it on VM and had a bit of a play with it.
Had to use google to find out how to shut it down. :oops:
mazmatt

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby skitzor » 2 Mar 12, 3:37 pm

few questions.

is there a start bar?

can you disable the tablet interface? if so, what does the normal interface look like? how does it differ from windows 7?

mazmatt wrote:Installed it on VM and had a bit of a play with it.
Had to use google to find out how to shut it down. :oops:

honestly that's not a good sign. if someone who knows how to use a VM can't shut down without googling it the first time they use it, what chance does a normal person have. ever since the first windows version shutting down has stayed fairly constant.

a while ago I figured I was just going to skip 8 like I skipped vista. nothing I have been hearing recently has made me considered changing my mind. I wonder if microsoft knew that going into the project.
skitzor

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Sathias » 2 Mar 12, 3:40 pm

I might dual boot this weekend and see how it goes.

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Robert Anton Wilson
Sathias

Not allowed to leave

Unread postby Chucky » 2 Mar 12, 3:43 pm

skitzor wrote:is there a start bar?

Seems it is more of a start screen rather than the standard start bar: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/03/01/how-to ... windows-8/
Chucky

Unread postby wayne19540 » 2 Mar 12, 5:03 pm

mazmatt wrote:

a while ago I figured I was just going to skip 8 like I skipped vista. nothing I have been hearing recently has made me considered changing my mind. I wonder if microsoft knew that going into the project.

Knowing that windows 8 is on its way some how I think I just may hold back on it;
Had XP then jump into vista and that was some time to work that out for me personally; Then we had windows 7 not a big problem basically the same as vista just had some new gadgets to play with.
What gets me is if windows 7 is working fine and not broking why bring out a windows 8 some how I don't think I will be rushing out to bye windows 8 this time I think I may just seat back and see how it pans out.
wayne19540

GON's coolest grandpa

Unread postby mazmatt » 2 Mar 12, 5:38 pm

Once you get passed the Metro garbage it feels very much like Windows 7 underneath so I doubt I will be updating to it.

The Start screen to me feels like it does not belong, although it can take you to certain folders or locations in one click, it's probably just that I am very used to doing everything from the desktop.

To get to the shutdown button you have to hover your mouse over the bottom left corner and a slide out window will appear on the left and it is located in there.
Seems strange place for it but I guess they have to justify to people that it's different than Windows 7.
mazmatt

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby tranquil » 3 Mar 12, 9:54 am

I won't be using it on my home desktop anytime soon, but i'll most likely have a play around with it at work. Very keen to try out the Hyper-V client.
tranquil

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Dinwiddie » 3 Mar 12, 3:09 pm

Also skipped Vista. Only use Win7 because of DX 10&11, and still can't be bothered with AERO, or Libraries.
There are a few good features on Win7 such as the Taskbar jump list, but if I want bloatware I'd rather pick my own.
METRO is pretty useless to a Luddite with no laptop or similar mobile device (don't even have a mobile phone).
Dinwiddie is in his second childhood, and sits gazing through the fog from his crusty cave.
Dinwiddie

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Gotrek1966 » 3 Mar 12, 3:39 pm

I'll stick with 7 untill I have no choice thank you.
Gotrek1966

NWN Admin

Next

Return to Tech Chat