Forum for Technical discussions

Re: Advice on reliable PC build

Unread postby Werewolph » 12 Feb 13, 6:32 am

Mugsy wrote:Just need some thoughts on these two PSUs:

SilverStone ST50F-ES 500W PSU 80+
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_re ... &sid=59999

Corsair TX-650 V2 650W ATX Power
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_li ... &sid=37447

The first is $62 while the second is $112 so there are substantial savings here. I only need 500W. I'm just not sure of the quality of the SilverStone PSU? It's 80 PLUS certified... not sure if gold or bronze... probably the later. Online review seem positive about it.

Silverstone is a good brand, I have their 1200W bad boy sitting in my PC at this moment. The only downside to Silverstone, is they don't include on/off switches on the PSU. Since most Silverstone models are usually 100% modular, It's a shame to see this one isn't.

Corsair I've not had too much experience with previously, so I'll defer to more learned colleagues on that regard.
3770k @4.7Ghz|Corsair H100|HAF X|Intel 520 SSD
GSkill 2133 16Gb|G1-Sniper3|GB 670 X2 @1250/6500|WD 1TB X2
1200W PSU|Win 8 Pro|XL2410T|HD598
Werewolph

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Treloar » 13 Feb 13, 12:43 am

I've used a number of PSU's of generic and branded types.

I found Coolermaster is terrible for PSU.

Thermaltake is hit and miss.

Corsair is generally quite good, with only 1 little problem I've had is a faint caps squeal. Seems to be a frequent problem too, I have to turn PC's off at the wall or the PSU switch to stop the whine, Googling informs me it has something to do with Corsair's auto sensing for a country's voltage. Generally most people won't notice it, unless you are trying to get to sleep.

I've used an Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU that came in a case, it was very reliable til my PC suddenly wouldn't stay on as it wasn't getting enough power. New Corsair PSU fixed that.

OCZ is good, I haven't used any of theirs of late but had one last 12+ years, think I still have it somewhere... in my Pentium 3 box. :lol:
Treloar

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Mugsy » 13 Feb 13, 6:33 am

Thanks for that input guys... looks like it's down to the Silverstone and Antec ones. I'll do some more googling.

And thanks for the heads up about the possible faint squeal from the Corsairs... the PC will be in my bedroom so any noise is a concern for me. Hell, i even have to duct tape the lights on the internal card reader so it wouldn't continuously shine on my face!
Mugsy

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 13 Feb 13, 9:50 am

Heyooo. Silverstone and corsair units are pretty rad, i tend to back units made/supplied from enhance or seasonic. Have a look through the LINK to learn up on who makes what.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby Mugsy » 13 Feb 13, 6:56 pm

That's a brilliant link mate! Unfortunately, I don't think either of those two PSUs are made by enhance or seasonic... I'm thinking I might postpone my purchase by a month or two to save up money. I'm getting by on my $600 light gaming laptop for now, my pay packet that I get this month will be going towards paying off my credit cards and I'm down at Melbourne this weekend with the family (I'll likely pay for most expenditures) so it might not be a bad idea to save up a bit and get the better parts. Thanks again to all for your help. Will let you know how I go when i do order the new rig.
Mugsy

Unread postby SaNE » 13 Feb 13, 10:40 pm

Mugsy wrote:That's a brilliant link mate! Unfortunately, I don't think either of those two PSUs are made by enhance or seasonic...

The Antec High Current Gamer is a Seasonic variant (Review).
Steam - Battlelog - X-Fire - "If you're not hurting somebody's feelings, you're losing"
SaNE

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Mugsy » 14 Feb 13, 7:13 am

Thanks mate. I think we have a winner for a cost friendly option.
Mugsy

Previous

Return to Tech Chat