Cannot enable Win7 64 bit backup

Forum for Technical discussions

Cannot enable Win7 64 bit backup

Unread postby pearo » 9 Jan 13, 5:52 pm

I have the following message when I try to initiate a full system backup to my external HDD on my Win7 system -

'Windows could not enable the automatic back up job for the following reason:
Transaction support within the specified resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error. (0x80071A91). Try again.' :?

Searching for this error reveals quite a bit of info - I have tried scanning my HDD for errors/bad sectors, using the Fsutil repair command, removing the logs from the tsx folder. All these are suggestions from the MS help site. My system gives the same error message if I try to go back to the last restore point. System seems to run well, no lock-ups of crashes, just cannot run the backup.

The was a small bad sector when I scanned the HDD some months ago, no change on the recent scan. Anyone encountered this before. I really only need to back up photographs, and documents but it would be nice to have a system image. Any suggestions welcome. My system - Core2 duo, 1Gb HDD, ATI5850, Win7 64bit.

Would be fantastic if a more meaningful error message pointing towards the actual problem area could be generated. I am no tech but can follow most instructions. Posted here due to help I received in the past - thanks in advance.
pearo

Player

Re: Cannot enable Win7 64 bit backup

Unread postby ChainsawMcP » 9 Jan 13, 9:20 pm

Given that fiddling could be fatal...

I'd get a straight copy of those photos, documents and other essential files first...

Then try a different backup program - plenty of free ones out there - here's five http://www.top5freeware.com/top-5-best- ... p-software

THEN - I'd start trying to see if I could sort out the problems that are preventing MS backup from running
ChainsawMcP

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby pearo » 11 Jan 13, 8:10 pm

I had a little more time to search for answers but with no success; seems I cannot find any other magic tricks in the MS community pages.

Thankyou Chainsaw for that link - I will try some of these when I get the chance. Photos and other important stuff already backed up - yes, good advice.

It would seem the same error message also applies to Win updates for some people, but I am able to receive and install updates with no problems. I have started/stopped/restarted the relevant services - MS community advice is that the backup service relies on logs that may be corrupt and need to be deleted. Did not work either. Getting into things I don't understand, so it looks like another backup program might be the way to go.
pearo

Player

Unread postby -Slayer- » 11 Jan 13, 10:30 pm

pearo wrote:It would seem the same error message also applies to Win updates for some people, but I am able to receive and install updates with no problems. I have started/stopped/restarted the relevant services

Not sure if this will help your case, awhile back it's happened twice to me where windows update wouldn't update from a fresh install even after running all the MS helps and fixes it kept throwing an error up, in the end I run windows defender told it to do it's own auto update and run itself once, (for a lol factor) now for some weird reason after I updated windows defender my normal updates then worked. :?

What I'm getting to is it might work for you for the backup system, doubt it but damn windows does some stupid crazy stuff at times and seeing some are getting the same error for updates as well.
-Slayer-

Senior BF Admin

Unread postby Brad » 12 Jan 13, 9:38 am

Had a similar problem. windows update wouldn't work, nor windows defender. I also could not install Microsoft packages. Such as windows easy file transfer(vista box upgrading to 7) didn't try windows backup.

I tried all the usual, start stop service's, system restore, delete rouge corrupt files that log windows update.
Did countless other things that escape me right now.
In the end the Microsoft FIX IT app on their site did the job. I was surprised as it normally just seems like a waste of space.
Brad

Padawan

Unread postby pearo » 12 Jan 13, 10:58 am

Thanks all for taking the time to reply - while MS backup is still giving me the :evil:, it looks like I can still create a whole of system image with the options on the left of the backup screen. I'll just back up some individual files with some other program (or just burn them to a disk).

Windows defender is disabled on my system as it is superseded by MS security essentials - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd
I might do a full scan later tonight.

I have run a few of the MS fix it apps and the only thing it found was a problem with the MS update (which was working anyway), still thankyou for the suggestion.

Might leave this for now and play some games before the kids complain and kick me off !
pearo

Player

Return to Tech Chat