Windows 7

Forum for Technical discussions

Re: Windows 7

Unread postby Pigfat » 26 Jan 10, 11:50 am

BBlunt wrote:some updates are persistent and keep coming up but do go away after a while.

Silverlight? :dodgy:
Pigfat

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby BBlunt » 26 Jan 10, 12:34 pm

Pigfat wrote:
BBlunt wrote:some updates are persistent and keep coming up but do go away after a while.

Silverlight? :dodgy:

Yep.
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it" - John Gilmore, Internet Pioneer
BBlunt

Padawan

Unread postby snex » 26 Jan 10, 1:55 pm

RogerTheIncredible wrote:create a folder called GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} on the desktop of your windows 7 or vista PC.
The display name doesn't have to be GodMode. :>

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1615&pag ... ;post-1615

All Tasks (Control Panel)
{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
snex

Master Wang

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 26 Jan 10, 2:16 pm

i think people like the thought of a god in their machine...

plus 'all tasks (control panel) doesnt have that awesome ring to it like godmode does...
:P
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby EmbraceThePing » 26 Jan 10, 3:45 pm

BBlunt wrote:Right click on the update and select the Hide Update option may work. I've found some updates are persistent and keep coming up but do go away after a while.

Can't right click on the icon. Can left click on it and the update window comes up but there is no option to hide update.
ImageImage
If the universe is truely infinite why do I run into the same arseholes every day?
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is a HERETIC!
EmbraceThePing

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby BBlunt » 26 Jan 10, 5:21 pm

EmbraceThePing wrote:
BBlunt wrote:Right click on the update and select the Hide Update option may work. I've found some updates are persistent and keep coming up but do go away after a while.

Can't right click on the icon. Can left click on it and the update window comes up but there is no option to hide update.

Right click on the name of the update.
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it" - John Gilmore, Internet Pioneer
BBlunt

Padawan

Unread postby EmbraceThePing » 26 Jan 10, 6:07 pm

BBlunt wrote:
EmbraceThePing wrote:

Right click on the name of the update.
You are a legend! A bloody legend. :D

Now if you could get rid of my vaio update I'd have your babies!
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=173457

....even though I'm a guy, I could let it gestate in a box under my bed.
ImageImage
If the universe is truely infinite why do I run into the same arseholes every day?
EmbraceThePing

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Yipster » 17 Feb 10, 3:07 pm

With the student reduced price versions of windows7,

I already bought one copy for my main pc, But am i limited to one?.
Its just that for a little over a week I'll still have another
(different)uni's email address, If i can only buy one per address i'll have to do it now.
Yipster

Padawan

Unread postby Ball0fire » 17 Feb 10, 3:24 pm

i'd try and get another, can never have too many legit copies of windows :)
Ball0fire

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby TheScientist » 17 Feb 10, 5:17 pm

pretty sure it's one per address so get it quick.

you could always test by trying to buy another copy with your old address, and if it wont let you then you'll be certain
[TheScientist]^ [Kaos$murf]^
TheScientist

Story Teller

Unread postby McMacca » 17 Feb 10, 9:39 pm

apparently RC starts shutting down soon, 13 days my laptop is telling me D:
McMacca

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby EmbraceThePing » 17 Feb 10, 10:11 pm

I've just had one of those moments that Linux users laugh at (and whisper I told you so) and Windows users face palm to.

I recorded Dr. Who on Sunday night on my lappy and after watching it when I got home my mate asked if he could put it on his netbook to watch before going to bed. Sure I said, how hard could it be!?

After finding the file and finding it was recorded in WMC's WTV format I had to google around a bit before finding out I can convert it to the old DVR-MS format by right clicking and selecting "Convert to DVR-MS format". Who'd have thought :rolleyes: But then the hard part. The file was well over 4 gig :shock: and in a stoopid format :/ Time for some compression surely. But how? Back to google.

Windows Movie Maker comes up as the "easy" option. Okay surely that's included in Win7 like in Vista or XP. Nope. You have to dl the "Windows Live" installer then tell it what you want, then let it dl it for you. Okay, I can do that, can't I? *sigh*

As long as I let it dl the "updates" for the five other "Live" programs that were preinstalled on my lappy (no way to exclude them) which all adds up to a 168mg dl. :shock: /facepalm.

So. Uninstall each of the five Live programs then re-exe the Live install and select Movie Maker. DL. Install. Convert. 2.3gig wmv file. phew!

Over? No. :(

Now that I have deleted windows messenger, outlook (and the other three I can't remember atm) and the office trial that was preinstalled my lappy tonight tells me I have 28 new updates waiting to be dl'd for windows. So I look. It's all updates for the progs I have removed. /facepalm.
So I remove those updates and go back to browsing. Then another interuption as windows says there are twenty something more updates. *sigh* This time for Office.

I seriously don't think there is enough facepalm in all of the internet atm to express my level of the palmedness of my face.
ImageImage
EmbraceThePing

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby McMacca » 22 Feb 10, 12:14 am

McMacca

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Jeatalong » 17 Mar 10, 2:04 pm

EmbraceThePing wrote:
Windows Movie Maker comes up as the "easy" option. Okay surely that's included in Win7 like in Vista or XP. Nope. You have to dl the "Windows Live" installer then tell it what you want, then let it dl it for you. Okay, I can do that, can't I? *sigh*

So your complaint is that Microsoft removed some fat from the windows installation?

my lappy tonight tells me I have 28 new updates waiting to be dl'd for windows

For shame in windows trying to keep your computer up to date.
Jeatalong

EvE Moderator

Unread postby EmbraceThePing » 17 Mar 10, 4:11 pm

Jeatalong wrote:
EmbraceThePing wrote:

So your complaint is that Microsoft removed some fat from the windows installation?

my lappy tonight tells me I have 28 new updates waiting to be dl'd for windows

For shame in windows trying to keep your computer up to date.

No my complaint is that windows removed something from the install that required me to download an extra 100 odd meg of ancilliary **** to be able to reinstall it and that windows is now trying to keep updated, software I no longer have installed on my pc. :P

At least that's what I though I'd posted about.
ImageImage
EmbraceThePing

1337 p0st3r

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Chat