I have 40K models and I want to show off their awesomeness!

Get Creative! Are you building a game, wanting to show off your photography skills or other digital media? This forum is for you!

Re: I have 40K models and I want to show off their awesomene

Unread postby Makena » 17 Aug 12, 12:03 pm

Wow, those look awesome!

Must resist buying models just to try painting them lol
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

Unread postby Tim Colwill » 17 Aug 12, 12:51 pm

That's probably a bad idea yes, they are stupidly expensive :/

That said, most GW stores will give you like, a free space marine and help you with your first attempt at painting 'em.
Tim Colwill

Editor in Chief

Unread postby Marius » 18 Aug 12, 7:02 am

If you just want to paint, probably look at another line of models like Kings of War. Lots of high quality alternatives to GW at a fraction of the price. Plus, you might not have to deal with the yearly inflation of model sizes that makes every model look overly cartoony these days.

Nothing bad to say about anyone's painting of course. I just wish the underlying models were less caraiacturised.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby DXPetti » 18 Aug 12, 4:08 pm

Always love browsing through the user submitted stuff on the Games Workshop Group Pool on flickR
DXPetti

Unread postby Tim Colwill » 9 Jan 13, 11:17 am

Hey guys! Here's some WIP pics of my Killa Kans, converted from River Trolls. These pictures taken after they performed particularly **** abysmally in their first game, smashed to pieces in an assault by a krak-grenade toting IG veteran squad before they could lift a finger. Oh well. Here's some images!

Let me know what you think! I'm going to paint them up with red, squig-like skin I think, and wild bone-colour hair.
Tim Colwill

Editor in Chief

Unread postby Vid » 9 Jan 13, 12:04 pm

I've been "collecting" since 1995 but really since 3rd ed 40k since 1999. I have ~1500 pts Blood Angels (my first army, now long retired), 1500 pts Chaos Space Marines, 2000 pts Dark Eldar, 2000 pts Tyranids, ~4800 pts Orks, ~6000 pts Imperial Guard (only about 4500-5000 on display), and ~2400 High Elves. I also have full city and "green" boards.

I mainly play Dark Eldar, Orks and Guard

Here is a selection of my stuff :)

a couple of those buildings and craters are a friend's but the rest are mine

"You are really good at killing things. I'm impressed." - Durandal
Vid

Story Teller

Unread postby Ashigaru » 9 Jan 13, 12:14 pm

Nice Vid, a lot of impressive stuff there! Sadly I don't have a lot of my stuff anymore. I sold off my 4000 point Brettonian Army, my 3000 point Beastman Army and my 2000 point Empire force. Shame too, they were good fun!

I still have a 6000 point wood elf force in storage, a 7-8000 point force of the eldar (there were 3 fire prisms in total.... not just the one!) and I think I still have my first ever fully painted space marine squad in there.

Currently I've gone mad for Infinity! It's a game made by some Spanish blokes, and focusses on more 10-20 model skirmish battles as opposed to large forces like 40k/WFB do.

http://infinitythegame.com/

I'll post some pics of my stuff shortly, I've only just gotten back into it and am currently painting some of them up :)
Ashigaru

Story Teller

Unread postby Tim Colwill » 9 Jan 13, 12:21 pm

Great stuff Vid, love that Ork collection! <3 <3
Tim Colwill

Editor in Chief

Unread postby Vid » 9 Jan 13, 12:30 pm

another one of some more orks for Tim :)

that land raider conversion is a battle wagon

and my harlequins from dark eldar:

and incubi

Vid

Story Teller

Unread postby Morkai » 9 Jan 13, 12:50 pm

I used to play IG (Catachan Warriors represent yo!) back in the day, and had a brief flirtation with a Fantasy Khorne army, but never really went anywhere, seeing as since high school, I didn't have the time or money to continue, so I've resigned myself to reading the novels over the last 10 years or so (Gaunts Ghosts, Space Wolves/Ragnar Blackmane & Horus Heresy being particular favourites) along with the Dawn of War and Space Marine games, but a few months ago a new GW store opened about 20 minutes from me, and I keep "accidentally" dropping in for a visit every now and again, and I'm ridiculously tempted to buy a Land Raider or something, along with the Salamanders kit from Forge World, and paint the everloving **** out of it.

And, wouldn't you know, in September, my contract at work finishes up, with a 4 week gap, and then I go on holidays to the US for 5 weeks, so I might use that 4 weeks to paint said Land Raider.
Morkai

Regular

Unread postby Tim Colwill » 9 Jan 13, 3:34 pm

Good job with that stuff Vid, I've done the same with a Land Raider as well! And then I turned another Land Raider into a Looted Wagon, need to take some pics of that sometime, it looks boss.

Morkai, you should definitely do this thing.
Tim Colwill

Editor in Chief

Unread postby Morkai » 9 Jan 13, 10:55 pm

Tim Colwill wrote:Morkai, you should definitely do this thing.

I would, but... uh... I hadn't realised how expensive this stuff had gotten...

$110 for the Land Raider
$19.25 for the Salamander Land Raider door kit (+ postage from UK)
$26 for the black base spray
$55 for the spray gun (seeing as there's no green spray can)
$6 each for paints (of which I'd probably need at least 10 for various base coats/washes/highlights/emblems/accessories)
$60 paint station
$25 clippers
$10 files

Total: $365.25

phew... maybe I should just stick to the army painter in DOW2 or Space Marine...
Morkai

Regular

Unread postby Ashigaru » 10 Jan 13, 7:58 am

Here's your first mistake Morkai...

Buying directly from GW.

You CAN get coloured spray cans from other manufacturers. Army Painter has a series of coloured sprays:

Other manufacturers make better paints for cheaper per pot (and that last longer!). I'd recommend Vallejo over anyone else personally.

If you're just painting one model, don't bother getting a spray gun, stick with the canned spray above. If you're genuinely getting back into the hobby, get an airbrush. From your post it'll be for ****'n'giggles, so stick to the spray.

Why bother with the paint station? Mine is in storage and I genuinely don't miss it.

Clippers for $25? You are getting everything from GW aren't you? I'd recommend other brands of clippers as both better and cheaper. Same goes for the files. I reckon You could get everything you're talking about for about $100 less than you've quoted. If you are genuinely interested in it then let me know and I can recommend stockists etc. Don't forget you can often buy paints etc at a discount online. Seriously GW are rip-off merchants if you get EVERYTHING from them, I should know I used to work there.
Ashigaru

Story Teller

Unread postby Vid » 10 Jan 13, 10:48 am

yeah buy the models off ebay new in box (NIB) and then buy paints etc from other hobby retailers = much cheaper
Vid

Story Teller

Unread postby Ashigaru » 10 Jan 13, 10:55 am

Also apologies if that was a bit rant-like. I just agree with you it's too goddamn expensive, but I don't want that to dissuade you! We can find a way to make it more affordable for you ;)

Hell, where are you based Morkai? If you're in Melbourne I can probably lend you a few things to cut the cost down :D
Ashigaru

Story Teller

PreviousNext

Return to Creative