War Thunder

Re: War Thunder

Unread postby Otto-matic » 8 Feb 13, 1:43 pm

lordkabab wrote:If you play Arcade with a stick, you will get destroyed. But for Full Real Battles it's best to use a stick.

That sounds concerning. Is the flight model in arcade so very much different that a different controller is better?
Otto-matic

Story Teller

Unread postby Vid » 8 Feb 13, 2:02 pm

yeah play arcade with a mouse/keyboard. You can aim a lot easier than a joystick
"You are really good at killing things. I'm impressed." - Durandal
Vid

Story Teller

Unread postby Mearehear » 8 Feb 13, 3:43 pm

To be honest I find that rather disappointing, as I said somewhere else before after reading talk of keys+mouse to be an advantage in battle. I had hoped I was mistaken with what I read. Arcade mode or not, for a flight game to make stick players disadvantaged doesn't bode well at all for my interests. I can only hope that the realistic mode holds a decent player base, but all too often the masses fall towards what is easier.

Haven't had enough of a play yet to get a true perspective on this, so will see how it fairs over the weekend. No way in hell I will be flying with the keyboard though.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby DarkMellie » 8 Feb 13, 4:24 pm

It helps to not think of it as a flight sim, it's an Action-MMO. For them to make the most money, it needs to be accessible and if it were flight sticks only we wouldn't be having the conversation because no-one would be playing it!

It's fun to zoom around and shoot people down using mouse and keys, to me it's just like world of tanks with a lot more elevation.

Sim-mode is sparsely populated but Historic Battles matches come up pretty quickly.
ImageImage
GoN TS Channel: Mellie's Random Games
Channel Password: gonmellie
DarkMellie

Unread postby Mearehear » 8 Feb 13, 4:43 pm

See that just kills my interest even further..It doesn't need be a "flight sim"and I get it is clearly aiming towards the same market of play style as World of Tanks (which I enjoy) 'but there is no reason why they can't cater to the keyboard and joystick players equally. It is clear the consensus is that advantage lays directly with the keyboard users when there should be no need for that.

Just seems such a waste of potential when it's disadvantageous to stick players.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby DarkMellie » 8 Feb 13, 4:49 pm

But that's a much older argument of mouse/keys versus controllers. In a controller-only environment, it's an excellent control method and my many many many top rounds in various shooters is testament to this. But M/K's is superior, no question about it, and despite any correlation between 'games about planes' and controllers/joysticks, mouse and keys are still going to be the more accurate aiming method.

As we saw with the despicable 'Shadowrun', the only way to make things equal is to deliberately hamper mouse/keys by introducing linearity-lag or other chains to make it less pixel-perfect... which again would completely kill War Thunder's chances of success. A PC game that nerfs mouse/keys to allow controllers to compete? It'd be burnt with fire and the devs would never have a successful game again!

And the number of stick players out there is miniscule, which is definitely represented in the small number of players in FRB. Given 'better' alternatives like Cliffs of Dover, Rise of Flight and DCS, it's no surprise this mode isn't doing too well at the moment (I certainly won't be playing it because of the aforementioned games).
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Ball0fire » 8 Feb 13, 6:14 pm

yeah nah, strangley this game just confusses the **** outa me, ive been palying games for over 2 decades and this is the most confused ive been, and i play EVE!!

the tutorials are **** usless, they only go on aboot basic flight and attacking ,which any shlub thats played a flight sim can do with their eyes closed, i want to know wtf i am doin on the main page or in the game itself

i see its like world of tanks (to a point woT doesnt thow noobs in with t3/ 4/ 5/ 6/ 7/ 8/ 9/ 10) like this one seems to
so i get to fly noobs planes against bf110's 109s , hurries spits, yeah **** riiiiight . i died enuf times to upgrade to t1 gladiator ok i want to use that, how?i still have furysand a numbnut as my 3 planes even after i bought the damn gladiator
no help what so ever in this game. EVE is easier as a new player for christs sake

end rant . bye
Ball0fire

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby DarkMellie » 8 Feb 13, 6:22 pm

If you can stand my terrible voice and meandering line of thought, I had the same trouble as you and put this vid together...

Note that I've learned more since then and some of the content is wrong but it's a decent starter idea of what to click and where (I hope).

Also, I'm not being self-effacing, my voice sucks. Just wait 'til I get around to uploading my recent interview with Ralfidude and Linebacker, they sound hot, I sound like a dweeb.

Vid has swears, you were warned.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby Mearehear » 9 Feb 13, 4:51 am

Gripes aside this is so stunning visually, I've said bugger it and just been taking the disadvantage and playing with the stick.

Finally shot someone down!
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby Mearehear » 11 Feb 13, 5:23 pm

Had even more goes at it now, and just due to weight of numbers I have stuck with Arcade, using the stick and flying from cockpit view(youtube would suggest many fly from an external view). Makes it hard but it is just so damn beautiful that I enjoy even getting shot down :lol: Some of the dog fights I have had and been pretty epic, maneuvering between valleys and trees at high speed, all with such smooth frame rates. The pick up and play factor just makes it a joy.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby Makena » 11 Feb 13, 5:39 pm

Mearehear wrote:Had even more goes at it now, and just due to weight of numbers I have stuck with Arcade, using the stick and flying from cockpit view(youtube would suggest many fly from an external view). Makes it hard but it is just so damn beautiful that I enjoy even getting shot down :lol: Some of the dog fights I have had and been pretty epic, maneuvering between valleys and trees at high speed, all with such smooth frame rates. The pick up and play factor just makes it a joy.

Keyboard + external all the way :lol:

I haven't had a chance to play for a couple of days, but you've hit on why I enjoy it, it really does have a great pick up and play a few rounds experience, and you can come out with some great 'war stories' from it.
Makena

Has 1 million gon bucks

Unread postby Mearehear » 11 Feb 13, 5:45 pm

Yeah it very much borrows from War of Tanks in that aspect, just click the big button to go and you are in game with a bunch of others fighting it out, not too much to think of or worry about. Will suck me in for the long term with a few rounds here and there throughout a week. Not even worried about what plane I have or upgrading so much, just buzzing around in the default US plane at the moment. My jaw often drops with the simply beauty of it in moments while flying :)
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby lordkabab » 11 Feb 13, 9:10 pm

I wouldn't mind giving my stick a go once I get it. Just for the sheer fun of it.
lordkabab

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Mearehear » 11 Feb 13, 9:51 pm

lordkabab wrote:I wouldn't mind giving my stick a go once I get it. Just for the sheer fun of it.

Plays great with a stick, like a normal flight sim! And like most flight sims I have the mouse set for free look in the cockpit. Plus the is a button you can set to lock look at target. Just is harder to be accurate with the stick.
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby lordkabab » 13 Feb 13, 3:02 pm

Finally had what I would call some good games.

In one, I was flying my Beaufighter, trying to get high for a bomber kill. Gave up and dived to where an attack craft was flying very low. Hit him direct on top with my cannons, died so quickly. Nearly didn't have enough room to pull up.

Also I'm getting a lot more strategic with my skills. Bleeding speed with rolls and turns, then pouncing as my opponent passes by.
lordkabab

Jedi Upstart

PreviousNext

Return to PC Gaming Chat