Julia Gillard
15%
Candeh
38%

Total votes : 106

Re: Rudd or Gillard?

Unread postby Sathias » 23 Feb 12, 8:35 pm

Kremmen wrote:
Sathias wrote:she has taken a very challenging political situation and has been extremely successful at implementing her agenda.

I find this scary, I believe politics should not be about popularity but rather issues and not personal agendas.

Unfortunately it doesnt matter who is in power, I think the post I made with Judge Napoletano pretty much sums it up, each party is the same as the other, every election we hear both sides saying they will fix illegal imigration, fix the economy, fix this and fix that, but things stay the same, just the names change

"Emphasis added"

What I mean is where the previous Rudd government talked big but got shut down on big issues such as the Mining tax and the ETS, Gillard delivered in much tougher political circumstances.

The amount of legislation they have got through parliament is quite amazing, and save for the carbon tax much of it hasn't been controversial, to the point it has gone under the radar and people haven't given them credit for what they achieved.

Illegal immigration is a "problem" which neither side can solve, and don't believe Abbott with his lies that say otherwise. His main solution, turning the boats back to Indonesia, is untenable because they have stated they will refuse to take them, and the Navy do not want to return to the dark days under the Howard government where they had to do the dirty work to police his political policy. Nauru is heinously expensive, and the only evidence to the contrary is the oppositions costings they outsourced to a catering company which used to be involved with Nauru and is under investigation by the UN :? With the recent high court decision, on-shore processing is the only viable option.

The economy is doing great, when viewed through the prism of the global economy as a whole. The biggest problem we have is some sectors are going gangbusters and others are getting left behind. Though, as the UK conservative politician said on Q&A the other day, they would gladly swap problems with us. Anyone that thinks that we would be doing better under Abbott and Hockey needs their head read. Anyone that thinks they can cut taxes, increase spending and still deliver a bigger surplus does not deserve to be taken seriously.

That Napolitano video makes sense for the US but I find it has little bearing here, if you take the Liberal party on face value of what they would do in government. NBN? Gone, scrapped, return the national network back to Telstra. Mining tax? Nah, scrap that, give billions of dollars back to Gina Reinhart, like she doesn't have enough. The rest of the economy doesn't need to share in those big mining dollars! Just to put things in perspective, here is a graph of the mining donations to the Liberal and Labor parties over the last few years.

from http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/02/21/the ... donations/

The mining industry is LITERALLY buying up media organisations, and influence with the Liberal party. You can kiss goodbye any semblance of good mining policy if they get in.

People need to take a long hard look at Abbott and I fear that the easy run he is getting in the media will get him in The Lodge just because everybody else crashed.

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Robert Anton Wilson
Sathias

Not allowed to leave

Unread postby Marius » 23 Feb 12, 8:46 pm

That's a great post, Sathias. I'm reconsidering whether Rudd should get back in.

The whole thing with the mining industry scares me a bit. For a while we've had a fairly robust political system.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby Tas » 23 Feb 12, 8:49 pm

Gillard obviously, We need an Atheist in power, sick of these wing nuts like abbot n company christian bible wakjobs.Not to mention she came out this week an said that gay marriage etc is gonna happen (my mates were well happy there). When the last few leaders we have had rate "Hillsong" as patriotic Australians, that makes them scary as **** to have in power.

People always rave a bout people when the pollys have to do something bad, They seem to think that life is always gonna be roses an candy, an we all get given handouts every day by the leadership. Yet to run a country sometimes things have to be done that you dont like.

Carbon tax needed to be done, get over it :)
Last edited by Tas on 23 Feb 12, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tas

Story Teller

Unread postby Krankite » 23 Feb 12, 8:56 pm

The Labor party is in serious trouble at all levels. To be honest I think the only solution is to replace them with the greens and hope like hell they are a little more moderate when they are no longer a fringe group.

Personally I think we are begining to see a break in the two-party system with people lining up behind Kev, Juls, Tony, Mal or Bob.

Go Team Turnbull!
Krankite

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby =beast= » 23 Feb 12, 9:21 pm

my vote goes to candeh. just like when i have to vote
makin new sig. brb
=beast=

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Nekosan » 23 Feb 12, 11:30 pm

Tas wrote:Gillard obviously, We need an Atheist in power, sick of these wing nuts like abbot n company christian bible wakjobs.Not to mention she came out this week an said that gay marriage etc is gonna happen (my mates were well happy there).

This ^ is actually a big reason to give her my preference tbh, I don't think religion or the religious views of a politician should have anything at all to do with the policies they implement. Personal religious views are something for behind closed doors, religion shouldn't be used to make ANY decision in a multi-cultural country like ours.

I just can't help but think that if Rudd DOES get back in then come election time the libs are just going to say "they don't even know how to run themselves let alone run a country" and that's going to be the end of labor government for 4 years.

I think a lot of people have forgotten that they cheered when Rudd was removed.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby skitzor » 23 Feb 12, 11:44 pm

that was a really nice post sathis, that graph is great. I really wish campaign contributions were more transparent to the public (or more blind to the receiver of donations). it's a massive problem in America, and those numbers seem to be indicating we could start developing the same problem.

Nekosan wrote:I just can't help but think that if Rudd DOES get back in then come election time the libs are just going to say "they don't even know how to run themselves let alone run a country" and that's going to be the end of labor government for 4 years.

I think a lot of people have forgotten that they cheered when Rudd was removed.

I think they are going to say something on that regardless of the outcome.

personally I just want whoever will have a better chance of leading Labor to victory. Gillard has done some good things, and I don't remember much of Rudd's term, but I just can't help feeling that the people behind the leader are more important.
skitzor

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Ralph Wiggum » 24 Feb 12, 1:57 am

It has to be Gillard. If Rudd wins then he will be "working" with a good portion of cabinet ministers who didn't support him. It would be extremely hard to see how Rudd could retain those ministers who backed Gillard and especially those who made scathing attacks. The working relationship would either be non-existant, or those experienced ministers will resign and go to the backbench. Labor has a desperate shortage of experienced ministers who can run a portfolio properly.

Either way, I sadly see a return to a Liberal government in the next election. It's lose-lose for Labor. Vote in Rudd and you get a tarnished leader who lacks the support of the most experienced cabinet members. Vote in Gillard and you get a tarnished leader who is unpopular with the voters. The nationwide trend seems to be a swing back to Liberal, after we had a brief dalliance with an all-Labor country. As usual Liberal didn't have to put forward any forward-thinking policies. All they had to do was sit back and watch Labor implode.

The only faceless people who caused this shitstorm were the media. The constant questioning from journalists forced politicians to provide/squeak out a response. If you badger someone long enough, you get the answer you want. Over time the dissent becomes self-sustaining and reaches critical mass.
Ralph Wiggum

Unread postby skitzor » 24 Feb 12, 2:03 pm

Consider sending this Email to your local Labor Senator.

Good Morning Senator, I am lead to believe from the Australian Media you are in support of our current Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

I have my concerns that the Australian Labor party to which you represent in South Australia are treating the title of Prime Minister with an unacceptable level of contempt.

I would hereby request you remove yourself from the current situation and consider requesting the Governor General of Australia to dissolve the current Labor party and appoint a caretaker administration until such time an election can be held.

Failing this; I would strongly suggest you take the correct moral expectation and resign from the Labor party and Australian Politics until such time a suitable and stable parliament can be created.

Thank You

Australian Citizen

haha wow. some people.
skitzor

Unread postby Sathias » 24 Feb 12, 2:37 pm

Where is that from Skitzor? It's like pure concentrated stupidity.

Sathias

Not allowed to leave

Unread postby skitzor » 24 Feb 12, 3:09 pm

Sathias wrote:Where is that from Skitzor? It's like pure concentrated stupidity.

it was somebodies reply to a question about Rudd's press conference on facebook. 4 people liked the comment. :<
skitzor

Unread postby Sathias » 24 Feb 12, 3:36 pm

There are so many things wrong with it that if you listed them, the list would be longer than the email.

Sathias

Not allowed to leave

Unread postby unspoken » 24 Feb 12, 4:35 pm

Don't really follow this rubbish too much but I voted for Kevin for PM so that is who should be PM. I don't care if his staff can't work with him(Although no one has really gone in to detail), I don't care which party he represents, in the long run it doesn't matter, Tax will always go up and GST is here to stay. Also Tony Abbott is too much of a shady character - I would vote for Joe. But in a Julia Vs Tony election I would probably vote for the greens...
uNsPoKeN - Post count going down since 2003...
unspoken

Padawan

Unread postby André Axe'm » 24 Feb 12, 4:42 pm

I don't remember Kevin as being an option at the last federal election.
How did people vote for him?
André Axe'm

NWN Development

Unread postby skitzor » 24 Feb 12, 5:19 pm

unspoken wrote:Don't really follow this rubbish too much but I voted for Kevin for PM so that is who should be PM.

you voted for the party. anyone who thinks they voted for Rudd should learn about Australian politics and our electoral system. this isn't America.

I prefer our system in this situation.
skitzor

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events