Need a new MMO

Forum for unlisted and general RPG game discussion

Need a new MMO

Unread postby bishopoz » 25 Nov 13, 6:43 pm

Well , I've been playing guild wars 2 pretty hard for awhile now , and am burnt out , I also played rift for awhile , got that again today to get back into but i'm really after something new...

What do people recommend at the moment? Was looking at trying the old republic as I have never tried it , but is it still quite active?

Would rather something free or a single purchase but if it's good I don't mind subbing... don't want to play wow btw.
bishopoz

Jedi Upstart

Re: Need a new MMO

Unread postby Yurtles » 25 Nov 13, 8:48 pm

I think Star Wars is a pretty decent choice for at least the one playthrough. The pacing and mechanics eventually wore me down before I got through to max level and the end of the story for my guy (I got very close, but not quite), but it held me in there for quite a while and I'm not sorry about the time I did spend playing it. It is a HEAP of fun playing as an evil Sith and zapping npc's with lightning during conversations at every opportunity, my guy was a proper **** and it was glorious.
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

Story Teller

Unread postby hellbender » 25 Nov 13, 8:52 pm

I would suggest to try something completely new. Change things up a bit and take a break from MMO's. There's not much thats different to GW2/rift/WOW, so really you will just be playing the same game with a different skin. It will get old pretty quick.

If you really want to play an MMO though, another alternative is Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) which is pretty good. I played it until lvl 80. Havn't played the latest stuff though. Its free to play, but you can subscribe to get all the perks.
Asus P8P67|2600K @4GHz-EK WC|16GB DDR3|Vectex 3 120GB|HD6870 2GB-Aquacomputer WC|MCP35X|Obsidian 800D|X-fi Titanium|AD900
hellbender

Padawan

Unread postby Nekosan » 25 Nov 13, 9:47 pm

I really enjoyed SWTOR as a smuggler, was fully immersed in the story trying to get my stolen ship back.... right up until the point where i got it back and the game turned into "be peoples ****" rather than being about your character.

There's something spectacularly lame about hunting down a Hutts treasure and receiving a rusty pistol for selling it. I was also really disappointed in stealing a merchant fleet and selling THAT for HALF a rusty pistol (pretty much).

Like Yurtles said, it's good for at least one play through.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Nightstaar » 26 Nov 13, 6:53 am

I started playing Final Fantasy XIV to tide me over until Wildstar. I'm loving it and pretty sure I'll keep playing for a long time to come. It reminds me of Guild Wars 1 in subtle ways which I like. It is a subscription though and quiet new so a little low on end game content. There is a major patch (2.1) due at the start of December which will be bringing a lot more to the game I believe.
Nightstaar

Story Teller

Unread postby Kinky Kel » 27 Nov 13, 10:25 am

Nekosan wrote:I really enjoyed SWTOR as a smuggler, was fully immersed in the story trying to get my stolen ship back.... right up until the point where i got it back and the game turned into "be peoples ****" rather than being about your character.

There's something spectacularly lame about hunting down a Hutts treasure and receiving a rusty pistol for selling it. I was also really disappointed in stealing a merchant fleet and selling THAT for HALF a rusty pistol (pretty much).

Like Yurtles said, it's good for at least one play through.

Yeah SWTOR is good for a single play through.. or even 2 if you do one dark side one light side.

My Sith Inquisitor story was fantastic right up until the end. The last part was kinda .. ****. I'm part of the way through playing as a Commando, story feels really good thus far. But I haven't played it in ages.
Kinky Kel

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby bishopoz » 27 Nov 13, 10:33 am

Gave SWTOR a go yesterday , guess I've played gw2 too much lol , moving around , and combat felt pretty bad and laggy... and whatever loot I found someone else ran up and took while I stood there fighting :?

Abit of a star wars geek though so it keeps calling my name , and I was getting into the story... maybe i'll give it another go , feels like so much missing in the f2p version though , can't see myself subbing for this.
bishopoz

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Xwaste » 10 Dec 13, 1:02 pm

SWTOR is good for a while, I haven't played it since it went f2p so I don't know how much is hidden behind the paywall though.

Neverwinter is ok for a light-actiony type MMO, you might also like something like Path of Exile if you like the more arpg style.

Final Fantasy 14 has a bit more of an old school feel, it looks lovely and I like the way they did the classes/jobs.

If you want a bit of a change of genre, The Secret World is definitely one to try out. Great atmosphere and missions. A lot of people though don't seem to like the combat too much, but coming from GW2 it probably should feel not too bad to you.
Xwaste

Regular

Unread postby PinothyJ » 12 Dec 13, 1:06 am

Runes of Magic is free and has a Queensland server…
PinothyJ

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Auld » 12 Dec 13, 6:42 am

Planetside2? Its would be a big change :D
Firefall ?

Otherwise Wildstar is looking interestingly different.
Auld

Story Teller

Unread postby Kinky Kel » 12 Dec 13, 2:15 pm

Or if you have the disks and are feeling particularly nostalgic you can always go to SWG:EMU and play star wars galaxies again.
Kinky Kel

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby AspeN » 18 Dec 13, 3:26 pm

PinothyJ wrote:Runes of Magic is free and has a Queensland server…

Runes of Magic lost it's Queensland server quite a while back, now it's back in the data centre in LA. Obviously the same with SWToR, there was no lag when the servers were Sydney based.

I too went back to WoW after trying every single MMO on the market and playing it all to death. Just using WoW again as a timesink until ESO in April. Also hitting Dota intermittently as well.
AspeN

Player

Unread postby PopeGTR » 9 Jan 14, 9:36 am

SWTOR it's pretty good I say better then WOW until you reach level cap. Then if you dont have raid friends that come online often it isnt fun anymore.

I say SWTOR and TERA are pretty much the best right now.

Elders Scroll Online beta keys were sent today make sure to check your inbox. I've recived my key last night.
PopeGTR

n00bie

Return to General RPG