Anyone use an on board Crash Cam?

Why this forum is automatic, it's systematic, it's hydromatic, why it's GON lightning!

Re: Anyone use an on board Crash Cam?

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 30 Dec 12, 9:29 am

Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby Fireslide » 30 Dec 12, 12:22 pm

Probably worth getting one to help with insurance matters. Also in the rare case something like this happens.

Fireslide

Unread postby Disco LT » 30 Dec 12, 12:46 pm

It would hopefully remove some of the he said she said type nonsense in an accident at least - will have a play with mine later and see if I can set it up better.
Disco LT

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby Disco LT » 31 Dec 12, 1:54 pm

Ralph Wiggum wrote:Using the Western Australian Surveillance Act as an example, you are not allowed to use a surveillance device to record visually a private activity, which is defined as:

"private activity means any activity carried on in circumstances that may reasonably be taken to indicate that any of the parties to the activity desires it to be observed only by themselves, but does not include an activity carried on in any circumstances in which the parties to the activity ought reasonably to expect that the activity may be observed;"

So a camera installed in a car is fine for Disco, as long as he is only recording what's happening on the road, and not driving into some chick's bathroom whilst she's having a shower :D

If only I could figure out a way to do that on the sly, you reckon a girl would notice that? :lol:

v4moose wrote:does this camera in anyway hook up to the speedo to show how fast your going on screen?

take a look at the youtuve channel - baddriversoz - bogan central, but his setup is pretty good.

side note - I was in my local officeworks in joondalup wa today, and over heard others asking about the camera, seems they're getting popular. The office works guy was still giving the speal that they were sold out of the better kind.

No I'm afraid not - most of the ones I've seen wont actually connect to the speedo but they do have an inbuilt GPS. This one being a cheaper does not have this feature - lets face it, it would incriminate most of us :D

I've since readjusted the position of the camera to try and eliminate any possible focus problems but it either sees the bonnet or the suction mount. I've tried a new video anyway, I'll check it tomorrow and see how it went.

I **MAY** buy the other model anyway, at which point I'll offer this one up for grabs and anyone wants it for the princely sum of nothing - I'll post in here if I go that way.
Disco LT

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby mudslid3 » 5 Jan 13, 2:05 pm

http://www.onsitecameras.com/blog/produ ... e/cameras/ from au

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/N ... 61933.html from china

I have the same model LT is using, which likes to randomly stop recording which is a real PITA but when it does work the video is great

I am using a class 10 16GB verbatim but I am going to throw a 32GB card in and see how that goes
if its still rooted I might look at one of the onsitecamera units

I like the look of some of the china units but haven't done any research on any them
mudslid3

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Disco LT » 5 Jan 13, 2:15 pm

mudslid3 wrote:http://www.onsitecameras.com/blog/products-page/cameras/ from au

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/N ... 61933.html from china

I have the same model LT is using, which likes to randomly stop recording which is a real PITA but when it does work the video is great

I am using a class 10 16GB verbatim but I am going to throw a 32GB card in and see how that goes
if its still rooted I might look at one of the onsitecamera units

I like the look of some of the china units but haven't done any research on any them

I'm just using a Class 4 8GB card, I did order the DVR though from Deal Extreme so christ knows when it will show up. Did you return the model for a replacement at all mudslid?
Disco LT

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby DARTH KRUSTY » 28 Apr 13, 7:42 pm

Must buy one of these, as a truck driver i see alot of funny stupid ****.
ImageImage
DARTH KRUSTY

Padawan

Unread postby Dean » 5 May 13, 10:23 am

Otto-matic wrote:Just wondering if there's a legal gotcha in there somewhere. For some reason I can remember something about being able to record video or sound, but not both at the same time. We need the lawyer in here :o

I'm certain the ADR's prevented certain objects to be mounted on the dash/windscreen, it may pay to check out if your cam is compliant.
Dean

Story Teller

Unread postby Matty » 5 May 13, 11:45 am

If it's in your impact zone it's a no go, which is anywhere outside the dash cluster.
Homercles care not for beans.
Matty

Forum Bot

Unread postby Bicketybam » 5 May 13, 1:58 pm

This may be an over-simplified idea, but maybe you can check out where police dashcams are located on their vehicles and use that as an idea of where to put yours. ;)
ImageImage
" " - Silent Bob

Gamers can really come across with a pathetically huge sense of self entitlement at times
Bicketybam

Senior TF2 Admin

Unread postby Disruptor4 » 17 Dec 13, 1:12 pm

Sorry to necro this thread, but would these dash cams be any good for sticking on the dash and filming while it sits at the station when I'm at work? The reason I ask is that at least once or twice a week for the past few weeks I have been finding random things such as branches, a pen, a crushed can of Carlton Draught, a random piece of thick broken plastic, knife/fork/papertowel and I'm wanting to catch these kids in the act.
I'm kinda sick of it happening as the day was pouring with rain and the can of Carlton could've scatched the **** outta my windshield had I not noticed it at the last second as I was about to turn on the windscreen wipers.
Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz (3.9GHz turbo) | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | Gigabyte 7970 3GB 1GHz Core/5.5GHz Memory | G.Skill 2x4GB CL9 1600MHz | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Coolermaster HAF X | 1TB Samsung HDD | 1TB WD Green HDD | Windows 7 Profession SP1 64bit
Disruptor4

Unread postby Bicketybam » 17 Dec 13, 3:07 pm

You can get motion activated dash cams for that sort of thing. They have to be wired directly into your car battery (not via cig lighter as that only works when car is on) to have that ability enabled (if they have that option in the first place).

Again, have a look at http://www.techmoan.com/ for cameras that may have that option
ImageImage
" " - Silent Bob

Gamers can really come across with a pathetically huge sense of self entitlement at times
Bicketybam

Senior TF2 Admin

Unread postby Disruptor4 » 17 Dec 13, 5:09 pm

So I own a holden right... this is what I find on my car today!
http://i.imgur.com/We1kbaO.jpg?1

Bicketybam wrote:You can get motion activated dash cams for that sort of thing. They have to be wired directly into your car battery (not via cig lighter as that only works when car is on) to have that ability enabled (if they have that option in the first place).

Again, have a look at http://www.techmoan.com/ for cameras that may have that option

Thanks mate. Gonna be a bit more difficult than I thought. This looks the goods though!
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/8/t ... cro-c.html
Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz (3.9GHz turbo) | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | Gigabyte 7970 3GB 1GHz Core/5.5GHz Memory | G.Skill 2x4GB CL9 1600MHz | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Coolermaster HAF X | 1TB Samsung HDD | 1TB WD Green HDD | Windows 7 Profession SP1 64bit
Disruptor4

Unread postby twis » 7 Apr 14, 12:40 am

Just had my dash camera from http://www.szswill.com, a bit exciting and just uploading a video from the other day. The date is wrong. If you have high speed internet watch it in HD.. Amazing how much detail such a small camera records. I do adjust the position of the camera when I point at it and the idiot stats driving sensibility again.
I had the sound off, which was probably a good thing. I'll work out how to make the composite video with Google maps and upload one of them too. Brain is a bit fried ATM.
twis

n00bie

Previous

Return to Automotive