Warfare .71 now out

Re: Warfare .71 now out

Unread postby Baskerville » 6 Feb 12, 4:06 pm

Sky would you please elaborate as to why Mandos is not used on the server kthx.
Baskerville

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Krawmax » 6 Feb 12, 4:48 pm

With regards to the issue of team stacking, noobs, fun balanced games etc, I feel like this could at least partly be addressed by providing a central source of information - like a single new sticky post on GoN or a wiki, for less experienced players to get the latest tricks currently being employed by the elite.

This would help to balance out those that know the most direct paths to winning (destroying bases efficiently – note that I’m not advocating early base hunting here) versus those that circum to the Sunk Cost Fallacy - in this case knowing when to adapt in real-time, rather than keep on going due to time or money investment in AI’s, driving etc. This is something which I myself doing a lot. For example - I may have bought a bunch of AI’s and driven half way across the map, so I feel I don’t want to lose the investment in that by respawning at base to defend it, even if it’s strategically better at that time - if under attack.

Logic of course would dictate that you do the most direct thing to win anyway – for example respawning to defend your base regardless of what you’re doing at the time, using base defenses like metis towers, artillery spam, or flying player crewed tanks over the enemy base – to me some of these are more game exploits than good strategy. For noobs, this isn’t always the case as they aren't familiar with the dynamics of play and therefore the most direct paths to victory.

One example strategy is making use of early game tank captures during town raids (which is completely legitimate compared to others), but for some reason people blow them up instead of locking picking and repairing. Again, the noobs should learn this quickly from the start, amongst other things. Another would be using spotter AI’s to help you TAB-lock from behind cover or just using cover better. And another is satchels for destroying bases, or just knowing what it takes to destroy them. These are things some of us take for granted now and may quietly expect of others.

If ALL players knew how to use the game’s tools, strategies and exploits effectively and equally, I think we would have a much better basis to move on with recommending changes to Warfare itself as improvements. Atm, some games just play like a free-for-all with no consistent or equal measure amongst players, and the noobs have no chance against the elites with their secret skills.

You can find some of these things online if you search long and hard or through trial and error, but a more consolidated resource would be helpful, specific to Warfare BE, with no ranting comments mixed in.

Just saying.
Krawmax

Player

Unread postby PlacidBox » 6 Feb 12, 5:55 pm

PlacidBox

Padawan

Unread postby Baskerville » 6 Feb 12, 6:06 pm

Airlifting tanks with or without crew is not an exploit.

I'm happy to make a lengthy list of all so called "exploits" in Warfare BE.
Baskerville

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Goshawk » 6 Feb 12, 8:38 pm

Heh, half of those 'exploits' are just problems with the game engine. :lol:
Goshawk

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Sky Monster » 6 Feb 12, 10:11 pm

I often times muse upon the possibility of myself collaborating with my "buddies" to create a new updated guide of tips & tricks, but then I remember that when I try to educate people in game it usually goes in one ear and out the other. I often hear people ask the same question I answered for them a few days prior. It gets rather grating.

It would end up being a waste of time. Feel free to do it yourself however.
8-)

Freeborne wrote:Well said. I agree with Baskerville!

Sky Monster

Padawan

Unread postby UnderTow » 7 Feb 12, 12:37 am

ye making a gaming guide for this server could help some ppl.

but writing a list of exploits probably wouldnt do much.

Once people on this server realise that other people are using exploits against them, they all goto dev heaven and cry about it and try to get them removed.

seen it happen sooooo many times its quite funny.
So ye i couldnt tell ya any exploits coz theyve all been removed.

But if some1 made a thread to try and help other id be willing to add my limited knowledge to it. the main problem is the amount of content it would have to cover, it would be quite a read.
UnderTow

Padawan

Unread postby Krawmax » 7 Feb 12, 9:57 am

Well I am interested in starting something, though I surely don’t have all the answers (my own experiences) and would rely on others to contribute. I may just use that google doc you point to Placid. I’m not out to specify what WBE is, that’s already well documented. This would be more of a hint guide that could be kept up to date with the latest releases.

For starters, it might be good to separate out what things are considered true exploits of a “broken” game (to bug Benny about) and what are considered more legitimate actions that should be kept and passed on to less experience players. Ultimately I just a want to see a more level playing field, so that true skill in tactics and team strategies are used – not secrets. I only started enjoying the game once I realized what could be done and quickly in order to have an interesting experience – which is different every time I play. I think examples like the flying tank (while a player is inside shooting) is fine as long everyone expects that to happen is there is a good counter to it. This isn’t reality and there should be some fun aspects allowed in the game if it’s well balanced.

Clan servers tend to have their own formal expectations written down – we don’t need this. This is a public server and therefore a much less formal experience and I wouldn’t expect anyone to stick to anything rigidly. It’s more so that those who want to improve or try these thing can find the info to do so easily and not bug people over in-game chat or worse, quit because of frustration. I would want to format it in such a way that people are not expected to do these things. The freedom this game mode provides to the individual team leader is what makes it fun, combined with the overall command economy and dynamic base setup – as you know.

I better get writing then.
Krawmax

Player

Unread postby Freeborne » 7 Feb 12, 4:11 pm

Added some content to that Google Doc, Placid.

It's good to draft up all our ideas and different tactics and tips anyway, then it can be formatted later, or published in a different format.

I think we should just focus on tips and tricks though. There can be a separate "beginners" guide to Warfare (which we already have).

This guide should just aim at sharing all our tips and tricks we've learnt with newer players, so they are not at such a huge disadvantage when playing against us. We still have skill and experience to whoop their **** anyway.
Freeborne

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Sky Monster » 7 Feb 12, 7:05 pm

Well that makes things easy placid, made some changes to what I think Freeborne put down.

GPKs are actually available at LF0 now (LF1 was a wraith edit in 070)

Optics on FAL cant be switched between NV and thermal, it just removes NV and makes it thermal, you cant zoom in and out either. Not sure where that came from...

Added some stuff too.
8-)

Freeborne wrote:Well said. I agree with Baskerville!

Sky Monster

Padawan

Unread postby Baskerville » 7 Feb 12, 9:27 pm

Yeah that's good placid. Is that something anyone can hop on? could get people mucking it up?

Added a few basic ones I'll add more later when my brain is functioning at a higher level.
Baskerville

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby PlacidBox » 8 Feb 12, 7:17 am

Yeah, anyone can edit it/muck it up. I'm backing it up every morning though
PlacidBox

Padawan

Unread postby Mad Muncha » 8 Feb 12, 7:39 am

could blufor get the LAV moved to LFac 2 and the DMR to gear 0?
Mad Muncha

Regular

Unread postby Goshawk » 8 Feb 12, 8:30 am

Mad Muncha wrote:could blufor get the LAV moved to LFac 2 and the DMR to gear 0?

DMR at zero is an absolute no no. No semi auto weapons with magnified optics at gear zero under any circumstances.
Goshawk

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Krawmax » 8 Feb 12, 8:36 am

I've moved the document discussion to a new thread... "Warfare BE Community Guide".
Krawmax

Player

PreviousNext

Return to ArmA