IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

General news and announcements

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby Kinky Kel » 7 Jun 12, 12:48 pm

James Pinnell wrote:I won't barrel on why I thought the trailer was a pretty appalling effort for multiple reasons, but Brendon Keogh does a great job of explaining it in his blog:

http://critdamage.blogspot.com.au/2012/ ... ogame.html


Actually I think Brendan does a pretty good job at crying wolf. How does sexy nuns equal rape in a video game? And therefore promote rape culture? He's like an English teacher reading into a poem or book and getting something entirely different out of it than what was initially intended.

While I in no way condone rape (I find it horrendously abhorrant actually) it's interesting how Brendan only focused on female rape, when there are a large number of males out there who suffered the injustice of rape but weren't mentioned at all.

If you're going to wave a damn flag, wave it for everyone who suffers, not just those whom you choose champion.
Kinky Kel

User avatar
Jedi Upstart
 
Offline
Posts: 723
Joined: 29 Jan 12, 9:35 pm

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby DoHo_ » 7 Jun 12, 1:46 pm

*Deletes big rant*

Anyone who gets rape out of this is a moron. Those girls have machine guns and assault rifles and are trying to kill someone. Remind me how they're being raped? :/
DoHo_

User avatar
Padawan
 
Offline
Posts: 185
Joined: 16 Sep 09, 10:47 am

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby DoHo_ » 7 Jun 12, 1:49 pm

Kinky Kel wrote:
James Pinnell wrote:I won't barrel on why I thought the trailer was a pretty appalling effort for multiple reasons, but Brendon Keogh does a great job of explaining it in his blog:

http://critdamage.blogspot.com.au/2012/ ... ogame.html


Actually I think Brendan does a pretty good job at crying wolf. How does sexy nuns equal rape in a video game? And therefore promote rape culture? He's like an English teacher reading into a poem or book and getting something entirely different out of it than what was initially intended.

While I in no way condone rape (I find it horrendously abhorrant actually) it's interesting how Brendan only focused on female rape, when there are a large number of males out there who suffered the injustice of rape but weren't mentioned at all.

If you're going to wave a damn flag, wave it for everyone who suffers, not just those whom you choose champion.
He comments at the start why he focused on females, but that's beside the point. I don't understand how this shows, promotes or otherwise identifies anything to do with rape. Plenty of women dress in bikinis and underwear are they being raped too? Because if so they are doing so quite willfully, but that's what feminism is: being free to be who you want to be and do what you want to do. That goes for men too. Men can be great examples of feminism!
DoHo_

User avatar
Padawan
 
Offline
Posts: 185
Joined: 16 Sep 09, 10:47 am

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 7 Jun 12, 1:56 pm

i think the linked article re-states all my worries after watching suckerpunch.

god i hate that film.

also, trailer looked like normal hitman, maybe if it was porn funk music in the background and every time a nun got hurt she made ultra sexy sounds it could have been seen as a bit sexist, but it still looks like hitman
Image
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
steve_rogers42

User avatar
Tech Moderator
 
Offline
Posts: 3637
Joined: 20 Jun 07, 1:11 pm
Location: Straight outta a video game

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby XViper » 7 Jun 12, 1:59 pm

People will complain about anything these days.
*sigh*

When did everyone start getting sticks up their ****?
Image
XViper

User avatar
Forum Bot
 
Offline
Posts: 5274
Joined: 19 Jan 03, 4:27 am
Location: SA

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby Lumen Melano » 7 Jun 12, 2:05 pm

DoHo_ wrote:Plenty of women dress in bikinis and underwear are they being raped too? Because if so they are doing so quite willfully, but that's what feminism is: being free to be who you want to be and do what you want to do.


Woah, woah, woah. You're going to have to explain yourself there, because it looks like you are condoning women getting raped because of what they're wearing. Of course, only morons and religious leaders would think that way.

On topic: I think the hate is fine because it is usually sexuality to sell a product that has no inherent links to sexuality. Otherwise that would imply that Agent 47 sexuality is pertinent to his characterisation and therefore the gameplay. I suppose in that sense it is understandably to bring up binary correlation (this is suddenly getting all wordy) between Agent 47 calculated murders of a group of sexy nuns.

Personally I think it is tacky and gratuitous to sell Hitman this way, and it disappoints that this is the avenue they've taken.
Lumen Melano

User avatar
Jedi Upstart
 
Offline
Posts: 648
Joined: 27 Jun 08, 10:10 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby Gotrek1966 » 7 Jun 12, 2:16 pm

Just watched trailer, what the hell is the problem?

Thought it was well done to be honest.
Image
Gotrek1966

User avatar
NWN Admin
 
Offline
Posts: 1200
Joined: 27 Nov 07, 7:40 am
Location: Watching over EDON.

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby DoHo_ » 7 Jun 12, 3:21 pm

Lumen Melano wrote:
DoHo_ wrote:Plenty of women dress in bikinis and underwear are they being raped too? Because if so they are doing so quite willfully, but that's what feminism is: being free to be who you want to be and do what you want to do.


Woah, woah, woah. You're going to have to explain yourself there, because it looks like you are condoning women getting raped because of what they're wearing. Of course, only morons and religious leaders would think that way.

On topic: I think the hate is fine because it is usually sexuality to sell a product that has no inherent links to sexuality. Otherwise that would imply that Agent 47 sexuality is pertinent to his characterisation and therefore the gameplay. I suppose in that sense it is understandably to bring up binary correlation (this is suddenly getting all wordy) between Agent 47 calculated murders of a group of sexy nuns.

Personally I think it is tacky and gratuitous to sell Hitman this way, and it disappoints that this is the avenue they've taken.
I thought it might be taken that way, but that's not what I meant at all. As you said in your follow up sentence, only morons would think that way, and it seems that many people believe showing women in this manner is grounds for rape - in a sense that, women are there to be raped, in the same way that leaving a wallet somewhere means it's "just asking to be stolen". Of course just because something is presented in such a way does not mean it has been "asked" to be put into ANY context.

Other examples include people who believe they are racially vilified over even minor grievances; people who believe a naked child = paedophilia - in reality it's their intense focus and sensitivity to these issues that actually puts the subjects into the context they're so afraid of. If you go around fearing that every child is a sexual subject then that thinking is going to rub off on other people you inflict with it. A child to most, is a child, until, holy hell they are sexualised objects!

Take the trailer, they are bad **** women with heavy weapons, on the attack. They are not poor defenseless creatures in red riding hoods who are prey. They are wolves. No sane person would dream approach them, let alone try and over power them, nor is the context of their actions sexual. By putting them into a sexual light and by defeating them through violence, we've also been put into a position where we've innocently, unknowingly, unintentionally also defeated them sexually. Think of those "that's what she said" jokes - someone says something completely innocent, and now you can't even eat an ice cream without realizing what a raging homosexual you are and how much you like penis in your mouth.

My original point was that if these women were intended and ACTUALLY in a sexual light, then something as innocent as wearing a bikini or revealing clothing, would also, by this same definition/context, also be "sexual" and thus women who dressed that way would be (by the thinking of the aforementioned morons) willingly putting themselves into a sexual context.

Of course none of this is true and these people are morons.
DoHo_

User avatar
Padawan
 
Offline
Posts: 185
Joined: 16 Sep 09, 10:47 am

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby Universal_Traitor » 7 Jun 12, 4:11 pm

Where the hell did rape allegations come from? I'm more offended by where they are taking the series than the content of that video.
Universal_Traitor

User avatar
Padawan
 
Offline
Posts: 196
Joined: 23 Apr 08, 5:08 pm
Location: Adelaide SA

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby JImmy_35 » 7 Jun 12, 4:39 pm

IO just broke my heart.
The trailer was awesome.
Anyone offended by it was not the target audience and either needs to : A. Sack Up or B. Quit bitchin' and stop watching things that offend them, it didn't offend me so maybe I am their audience not them.
EVERYTHING will offend SOMEONE.
JImmy_35

Player
 
Offline
Posts: 15
Joined: 10 Dec 11, 5:13 am

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby JImmy_35 » 7 Jun 12, 4:42 pm

flabcab wrote:ms if I don't agree with them.
Sexuality will always exist in all forms of advertising as long as there are men who find women attractive.

Or Women who find Men attractive, why is it always one way?
JImmy_35

Player
 
Offline
Posts: 15
Joined: 10 Dec 11, 5:13 am

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby Tas » 7 Jun 12, 4:43 pm

that fool is just "trying" to be dramatic so people take notice of him, he's obviously got some fairly major psychological issues to deal with by his rant. Anyone that links computer games to reality has no business being anywhere near one, they are far to fragile.

There is not one single byte of vision in that trailer linking real life in any way shape or form. There was no huge neon flashing sign saying "we support rape" no kill the nuns blah blah blah... it's simply a computer game nothing more.

If when you turn off the pc you feel that it has some sort of impact on reality, you have issues an MUST seek medical attention.
Tas

Story Teller
 
Offline
Posts: 1952
Joined: 3 Nov 09, 6:54 am
Location: Hobart

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby Throllax » 7 Jun 12, 5:29 pm

Joshsux wrote:This will offend a lot of people, But it's a public forum and I don't know any other way of explaining my view on this story without saying this

1. Nuns are stupid, It's based of religion, Don't force that **** down on me just because you're outraged by it "Get a life"... why would you get offended ?

2. Religion is the craziest, Stupidest thing of them all.

I don't understand this world any more, Religion is all speculation, Did you know we supposidly only been on here for 6000 years, Yet there's scientific proof of stuff that lived far FAR before that ? What a crock of hooey dooey ****, Religious people annoy me the most out of any kind of person.

Shut the door in there faces, Stop harassing devs just because they had a superficial religious character in it.

Sorry if this offended you, But mine is based off fact, Religious people have nothing to stand on in an argument, because it's all based off hooey ****, it's cool you are involved in a religion, Keep it to yourselves. Get offended? Keep your crazy mouth shut.

Look what's happened? An awesome trailer now turned to bad publicity because of some wacko people.... It's terribly sad.


What I find hilarious is that you go on about a 'public forum' and 'expressing your views' because you have the right to do it in a free society, yet when others express their equally as valid views in a public forum you say they should 'keep it to yourselves' and to 'keep your crazy mouth shut'.

Now, I'm not going to go into the myriad reasons why your 'facts' and 'science' are just as speculative as the viewpoint you are, putting it very generously, critiquing, but I do like to draw attention to hypocrisy when I see it. This kind of verbal diarrhea does you no service and so you are in fact guilty of the same 'hooey ****' and 'idoicy' you seek to point out in others.

Have a nice evening :)
Throllax

Player
 
Offline
Posts: 23
Joined: 28 Jun 10, 9:30 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby Koops » 7 Jun 12, 5:49 pm

InAUGral wrote:I have not heard anything about any outrage until I read this article. The hitwomen in the video were dressed as nuns so they can hide the fact they are assassins(like any good hitman/hitwomen does). I see nothing outrageous about that but maybe that's just me.


that was EXACTLY how I felt after watching it. You don't know the story behind that but that are definatly not your normal religious nuns so im not sure why there is confusion about it. Hell, compare this to the number of movies etc in which some bad guy dresses up as a priest etc.

Seperation of church, state and video games *sigh*.

also .. is there something against linking to the video in question in the article?

for the lazy, the video in question -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptHGLa8LdjE
Koops

User avatar
Player
 
Offline
Posts: 27
Joined: 17 Mar 03, 9:36 am
Location: Hovertanks? pass.

Re: IO Apologises for Hitman Sexy Nuns Trailer Outrage

Unread postby Zombywolf » 7 Jun 12, 6:22 pm

my only problem is theyre not sexy. they're just... weird lookin to me.



*edit* actually that one might be crossing the line...
Without my pants.
Zombywolf

User avatar
Story Teller
 
Offline
Posts: 1869
Joined: 17 Jun 07, 1:50 pm
Location: I LOVE SHOPPING!!!

PreviousNext

Return to News:: General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests