Future Frostbite 2 Games Will Require 64-Bit OS

General news and announcements

Future Frostbite 2 Games Will Require 64-Bit OS

Unread postby News Portal » 22 May 12, 9:13 am

2012 seems like a good year to upgrade your operating system, according to DICE. Johan Andersson, a rendering architect for the studio's Frostbite 2 engine announced via Twitter that some games in the future will require a 64-bit OS. "If you are on 32-bit, great opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8," he added. It's not know what games he was referring to, but this could include any number of popular upcoming PC titles from DICE, Battlefield 4 or Bad Company 3, for example.

Source: Eurogamer.net

Read full article by GON News
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: Future Frostbite 2 Games Will Require 64-Bit OS

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 22 May 12, 9:29 am

About f**king time they started using 64-bit.
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 22 May 12, 9:35 am

While it's a good idea, I'm not sure if they understand that they actually have to utilize the resources that 64-bit gives them over 32-bit..
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby cyclobs » 22 May 12, 9:40 am

about time tbh, 32bit should of been chucked 5 years ago
cyclobs

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Hellion » 22 May 12, 10:05 am

Surely anyone playing these games has 4GB or more RAM anyway, therefore a 64bit Windows. I guess they'll run with less but that won't be the case for long.
Hellion

n00bie

Unread postby PinothyJ » 22 May 12, 10:22 am

Nawww, no hat tip :(. And the link I gave you even mentioned the Steam Hardware survey where only 55.87% of users are using a 64 bit operating system.

In other news, bring on that maximum of 16 EiB of RAM…
Last edited by PinothyJ on 24 May 12, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
PinothyJ

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby vcatkiller » 22 May 12, 10:43 am

I'd already given up on EA anyhow, wouldn't matter if they decided the next Frostbite engine will need a PC powered by gerbils.
vcatkiller

Story Teller

Unread postby exe3 » 22 May 12, 12:23 pm

I agree that it's about time they started doing this. Though that means I'll have to upgrade from Vista 32-bit (unless there's a way to install the 64-bit version legit, if so please tell me, I have Vista 32-bit legit OEM from when my brother and mum bought this computer at Aldi) and I don't really wanna get a new OS for this computer, it's not good enough to deserve it imo. :(
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby PinothyJ » 22 May 12, 12:37 pm

exe3 wrote:I agree that it's about time they started doing this. Though that means I'll have to upgrade from Vista 32-bit (unless there's a way to install the 64-bit version legit, if so please tell me, I have Vista 32-bit legit OEM from when my brother and mum bought this computer at Aldi) and I don't really wanna get a new OS for this computer, it's not good enough to deserve it imo. :(
A Windows 7 product key is valid for your Windows version and NOT your chosen Windows architecture. Whether or not this is the case with Vista you will have investigate for yourself.

So in short: some hope but you still have to find out…
PinothyJ

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby exe3 » 22 May 12, 12:41 pm

I had heard something like that a while ago but even if that is the case I still don't have a 64-bit disc.

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby cyclobs » 22 May 12, 12:52 pm

download / burn it. As long as you have a valid key and you get the same version it should be fine (providing your key will work on 64bit install)
cyclobs

Unread postby PinothyJ » 22 May 12, 12:54 pm

exe3 wrote:I had heard something like that a while ago but even if that is the case I still don't have a 64-bit disc.
As a product key is not associated with what is not the disc you could accidentally acquired a disc image from somewhere for your version of Vista and you will be ready to roll and rick…
PinothyJ

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby exe3 » 22 May 12, 1:23 pm

The thing is though that as I said I have an OEM copy that came with my computer and my disc has never asked for a cdkey when i've reformatted. There is that Microsoft sticker at the back of my computer though. Does that mean I have to get some sort of OEM copy? Also was the cdkey hardcoded into the disc by any chance given that I didn't need to put the number in in the past?

exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby cyclobs » 22 May 12, 1:38 pm

exe3 wrote:The thing is though that as I said I have an OEM copy that came with my computer and my disc has never asked for a cdkey when i've reformatted. There is that Microsoft sticker at the back of my computer though. Does that mean I have to get some sort of OEM copy? Also was the cdkey hardcoded into the disc by any chance given that I didn't need to put the number in in the past?

most likely yes. But IIRC correctly you can still get that key from the sticker and install from a different disk.. you MAY just have to get the OEM disk rather then a standard disk..

Really i don't think it'll make much of a difference what CD you install it from. But i may be wrong on this..

OEM disks are usually pre-configured installs thus your CD keys / drivers and extras are pre-installed on the disk and install process
cyclobs

Unread postby Ash_Williams » 22 May 12, 1:41 pm

You can install whatever architecture you want so long as your using a legitimate key for Windows, XP and Vista both allow you to use a 32bit key on a 64bit installation.
Ash_Williams

1337 p0st3r

Next

Return to News:: General