EA Jump On Indie Bundle Bandwagon

General news and announcements

EA Jump On Indie Bundle Bandwagon

Unread postby News Portal » 4 May 12, 2:50 pm

So, uh, EA have released an indie bundle. That's sort of weird. I guess when you shorten a word like "indie" so often, some people are bound to forget what it meant originally. Admittedly, all the games come from smaller developers, but unlike other indie bundles, none of the proceeds are going to charity, nor can you choose how much you will pay. The bundle will put you out about $21, on the pricey side for an indie bundle, and for your efforts you will recieve Warp, Shank, Shank 2, Gatling Gears, Death Spank and Death Spank 2: Thongs of Virtue.

Source: PC Gamer

Read full article by GON News
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: EA Jump On Indie Bundle Bandwagon

Unread postby Mythor » 4 May 12, 3:05 pm

The games are all from indie developers and "bundle" is hardly exclusive to the "Humble Indie Bundle" idea, so the not-for-charity criticism is stupid and irrelevent.

Why leap aboard the EA-Hate bandwagon? Why not take a positive outlook on this, with EA promoting the work of some smaller developers? People are always complaining all the big companies do is sequels and "AAA" and now you're going to bag them when they look outside that box?

I know hating EA is fashionable but it wouldn't kill people to think for themselves now and again.
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Mythor

TF2 Admin

Unread postby DoHo_ » 4 May 12, 3:06 pm

When an independent developer has a publisher they are no longer an independent developer, at least in the context of the titles in this bundle (and just because they are in a bundke doesn't mean they aren't being published).
DoHo_

Padawan

Unread postby Mythor » 4 May 12, 3:15 pm

DoHo_ wrote:When an independent developer has a publisher they are no longer an independent developer
That is not the definition of an independent developer. Independent developers are not owned by an external company. Valve is an independent developer, albeit one of the largest, they are also their own publisher via Steam and are published to retail by EA.
Plenty of other indie developers are published via Steam and some make it to retail via a variety of smaller publishers.

Having a publisher means squat in regards to their status as an indie developer.
"Me ate truck once." - Cookie Monster
Mythor

TF2 Admin

Unread postby InAUGral » 4 May 12, 4:20 pm

Shank is the only good game in that and I already own it. The others look only average and apparently Warp is a bad port to PC.
InAUGral

Story Teller

Unread postby TRB » 4 May 12, 5:05 pm

Mythor wrote:
DoHo_ wrote:When an independent developer has a publisher they are no longer an independent developer
That is not the definition of an independent developer. Independent developers are not owned by an external company.

are we sure that EA doesn't own in part or full any of these dev teams?

Just wondering.
TRB

Story Teller

Unread postby wyver » 4 May 12, 5:16 pm

not even worth the money **** you EA your ****
wyver

Padawan

Unread postby PinothyJ » 5 May 12, 11:09 am

Mythor wrote:
That is not the definition of an independent developer. Independent developers are not owned by an external company. Valve is an independent developer, albeit one of the largest, they are also their own publisher via Steam and are published to retail by EA.
Plenty of other indie developers are published via Steam and some make it to retail via a variety of smaller publishers.

Having a publisher means squat in regards to their status as an indie developer.
You are both incorrect: An independant game is one created aby a developer that does not received funding from a game publisher. So whilst Klei Entertainment have their work published by EA, if they were funding by that same company than their Shank games would cease to be Indie by the definition defined by the interwebs.
InAUGral wrote:Shank is the only good game in that and I already own it. The others look only average and apparently Warp is a bad port to PC.
OI! Warp is AWESOME fun if you like warping a human inside of another human and watching the resulting gory explosion. Although, with that being said, it is only awesome fun if you have a controller.

Man I enjoyed that game…
PinothyJ

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby lord-ezekiel » 5 May 12, 12:35 pm

Best game in that bundle is easily Gatling Gears.
It's great fun, has very nice graphics/style, and you can play it couch co-op with 2 controllers like me and my bro did!

NOW PLAYING:
PC: Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning
360: Resonance Of Fate
PS3: Demon's Souls
IPOD: Army Of Darkness
SYSTEM: Intel i5 2500K | GTX 295 1792MB | 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz | Asus P8P67-M PRO | NZXT Trinity Case | 23" Samsung S2333W LCD
lord-ezekiel

Padawan

Unread postby PinothyJ » 5 May 12, 1:26 pm

lord-ezekiel wrote:Best game in that bundle is easily Gatling Gears.
It's great fun, has very nice graphics/style, and you can play it couch co-op with 2 controllers like me and my bro did!
*my bro and I…
PinothyJ

1337 p0st3r

Return to News:: General