Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

General news and announcements

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby Sathias » 5 Apr 12, 6:04 pm

Yurtles wrote:He says in the video he's bought the rights. That bit's already done and out of the way before it went up on Kickstarter.


Ah good stuff, didnt watch the vid :)
Image

"Only the madman is absolutely sure." - Robert Anton Wilson
Sathias

User avatar
Not allowed to leave
 
Offline
Posts: 10076
Joined: 30 Jul 03, 10:49 pm
Location: South Australia, home of Coopers

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby exe3 » 5 Apr 12, 6:17 pm

Nemesis_22 wrote:
exe3 wrote:Can't help but feel that when these projects start getting released there's gonna be a lot of angry people if the games aren't good or not what they expected.


So, the same as it is now then? :P

I would see it as being worse with the stakes being higher. Most will be acting like amateur investors thinking that because they funded it it must be good or something I fear. And if that is the case the backlash to any games not good enough could be insane. I outright loathe the use of the word 'entitled' these days but I can't help but feel that a lot of people (these amateur investors remember) will feel entitled to a great product just because they helped directly fund it. It could potentially harm Kickstarter projects in general if some duds are produced.

In the end sure it may not be any different in terms of money spent but many people will see it as being different.
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

User avatar
Forum Bot
 
Offline
Posts: 9645
Joined: 30 May 07, 9:25 pm

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby Bronze_D » 5 Apr 12, 6:52 pm

Sathias wrote:
exe3 wrote:Can't help but feel that when these projects start getting released there's gonna be a lot of angry people if the games aren't good or not what they expected.


IF they get released... there is no guarantee.

Now that I think about it, Microsoft own the digital rights to all of FASA's IP... Shadowrun (hence the crappy 360 game), Earthdawn (god I wish they would do something with this), Mechwarrior etc... How much of the $400k would have to go towards paying MS off?

actually the licenses for Mechwarrior, Shadowrun, crimson skies etc should be under Smith and Tinker with Weisman at helm since he licensed them off Microsoft..

at least the video game part, the rest like movie or novel and what not... well i think those are in Eisner's hand now.
Image
Bronze_D

User avatar
Never goes to sleep
 
Offline
Posts: 4371
Joined: 5 Sep 03, 4:32 pm
Location: Yuri paradise

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby imcloughy11 » 5 Apr 12, 7:38 pm

The only exposure i've had to Shadowrun is the brilliant SNES game i used to play all the time as a kid,i finished that game so many damn times i could probably still beeline my way through it pretty quickly.
imcloughy11

User avatar
Padawan
 
Offline
Posts: 392
Joined: 29 May 08, 9:02 pm

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby vcatkiller » 5 Apr 12, 8:56 pm

Anybody know how I could manage to play the originals? Without having to hunt down the original console or download a rom? Is it on Wii's Virtual Console thing yet? I'd like to try it but I really don't want to pirate/spend half the earth to do so...
vcatkiller

User avatar
Story Teller
 
Offline
Posts: 1841
Joined: 17 Apr 07, 10:43 pm
Location: Rockhampton, Australia

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby Novocaine » 5 Apr 12, 9:47 pm

exe3 wrote:Can't help but feel that when these projects start getting released there's gonna be a lot of angry people if the games aren't good or not what they expected.


Maybe so. I do like the idea of kickstarter solely based on the fact that developers will be able to make great games without a massive corporation breathing down their neck, letting them make the game they want to make target than a game that will keep the shareholders pockets full.

Tapatalkin' like a boss
PLAYGUUU AAHHHH!
Novocaine

User avatar
Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like
 
Offline
Posts: 2652
Joined: 16 Sep 05, 12:37 pm

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby zakynthos » 6 Apr 12, 7:11 am

The one kickstarter funded project that definitely WONT fail is double fine's adventure game with 2.3 million dollars invested already. You would think Tim Schafer wont stuff up that game.

:)
zakynthos

User avatar
Padawan
 
Offline
Posts: 459
Joined: 2 Dec 08, 5:52 pm

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby realOne » 6 Apr 12, 8:31 am

I do love the Shadowrun universe and this could be ok but im not really into turn-based games. Also this sounds like it will be mainly developed for tables then possibly be ported to PC?

If only they could make a game as great as the SNES version but with real-time RPG element, good story and newer visuals.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Dick
realOne

User avatar
Jedi Upstart
 
Offline
Posts: 924
Joined: 20 Apr 04, 2:09 pm

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby Marcus Dunn » 6 Apr 12, 10:31 am

Seems this one easily made it's target, just reading it was at 445k or so
Marcus Dunn

Contributor
 
Offline
Posts: 687
Joined: 10 Jul 07, 9:17 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby Nekosan » 6 Apr 12, 2:33 pm

Novocaine wrote:
Maybe so. I do like the idea of kickstarter solely based on the fact that developers will be able to make great games without a massive corporation breathing down their neck, letting them make the game they want to make target than a game that will keep the shareholders pockets full.


See that can be a problem, many of these guys are just developers and they have little to no experience running a company, they NEED shareholders breathing down their necks or nothing will ever get finished, it's a little different to 15 years ago when a lot of gaming developers started out small and got to learn as they went with no consequences except their own money.
Nekosan

User avatar
Offline? What's 'offline'?
 
Offline
Posts: 3862
Joined: 3 Jan 06, 6:23 pm

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby Yurtles » 6 Apr 12, 3:21 pm

Pretty sure all of the higher profile Kickstarter projects so far are being lead by serious veterans of the industry. Very little chance that those sorts of guys can't manage a budget by now.
I can only assume that you're referring to what 3D Realms ended up doing to itself, which is more of an exception rather than the rule.
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

User avatar
Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like
 
Offline
Posts: 2027
Joined: 20 Feb 09, 2:30 pm

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby Nekosan » 6 Apr 12, 4:28 pm

Yurtles wrote:Pretty sure all of the higher profile Kickstarter projects so far are being lead by serious veterans of the industry. Very little chance that those sorts of guys can't manage a budget by now.
I can only assume that you're referring to what 3D Realms ended up doing to itself, which is more of an exception rather than the rule.


How does being part of a design team set one up to run a company professionally? Only the heads of department are getting that kind of experience, that's why i kind of roll my eyes whenever an advertisement says something like "from one of the designers of so and so".
Nekosan

User avatar
Offline? What's 'offline'?
 
Offline
Posts: 3862
Joined: 3 Jan 06, 6:23 pm

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby Yurtles » 6 Apr 12, 5:19 pm

I started writing a reply with links and everything to support my argument, but just no. If you can't be bothered taking the time to read up on these things before making your argument I'm not wasting my time doing it in response.
The Banner Saga is the only one so far where you may have a point but they are also asking for the least and easily have the most thought out presentation up on Kickstarter to show you exactly what they're doing.
Last edited by Yurtles on 6 Apr 12, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BorisBC wrote:Pro tip - if you have to spew in a car, spew down the (inside) front of your shirt. Trust me, it's a lot easier to clean spew off yourself than the interior of a car.
Yurtles

User avatar
Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like
 
Offline
Posts: 2027
Joined: 20 Feb 09, 2:30 pm

Re: Shadowrun to be Latest Addition to Kickstarter

Unread postby Chucky » 6 Apr 12, 5:25 pm

On a slightly related note, I just watched Tim Schaffer's Double Fine Adventure! Episode 1: A Perfect Storm for Adventure! .....and all I can say is I CAN'T WAIT 8)

They ended up getting 3.3 million :shock:
Image
Chucky

User avatar
Moderator
 
Offline
Posts: 16231
Joined: 25 Nov 04, 6:42 pm

Previous

Return to News:: General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests