Rumour: Valve to unveil 'Steam Box' Console at GDC

General news and announcements

Re: Rumour: Valve to unveil 'Steam Box' Console at GDC

Unread postby Nebby_99 » 5 Mar 12, 1:02 pm

Yeah, this is a niche view guys. As fondly as I remember installing demo discs on DOS 6.0 where only one or two out of 10-15 games on a disc would actually run on your system. People don't want to upgrade often, and they want some guarantee that a game will actually work. A bit of standardisation would help a lot with this, and Valve are one of the few companies I can see getting this right.

If this can find a happy middle ground between PCs and locked-down n00bstick consoles, then I think it will do well. If we're lucky it will eventually marginalise Sony & Microsoft enough that people will stop putting up with their ****.
Nebby_99

Padawan

Unread postby Auld » 5 Mar 12, 1:05 pm

It doesnt sound like they are making the hardware, as Gabe said they don't want to unless theyre forced.

I believe they are creating a software platform and licensing hardware from 3rd party vendors. Theyre basically creating a "Valve Certified" gaming system. The great thing about coding for a controlled environment, optimisation and testing is easier.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012 ... rtners.ars
Auld

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby cyclobs » 5 Mar 12, 1:23 pm

i lol at the face of simplifying PC gaming
cyclobs

Unread postby Matty » 5 Mar 12, 1:26 pm

cyclobs wrote:i lol at the face of simplifying PC gaming

Whoa! Sweet PC cred man. You sure showed everyone!
Homercles care not for beans.
Matty

Forum Bot

Unread postby cyclobs » 5 Mar 12, 1:55 pm

Matty wrote:
cyclobs wrote:i lol at the face of simplifying PC gaming

Whoa! Sweet PC cred man. You sure showed everyone!

this man knows how to show respect, yo
cyclobs

Unread postby TRB » 5 Mar 12, 5:14 pm

What I don't understand is if developing for PC is a problem BECAUSE of varying PC configs then pick a 'recommended' PC config for the game you are making and make the game run brilliantly on that config and let people with other configs sort themselves out at launch.
sure after put some patches in get it working for as many as possible, but dev for a setup and go for it.

however I highly doubt that is the real problem for making games on PC, everything has been pretty easy since direct X because dominant.
sure it was a problem back in the day when openGL and other stuff was popular too but now ...

sounds like BS to me.
TRB

Story Teller

Unread postby Matty » 5 Mar 12, 5:47 pm

What's stopping it from running console games? Unless MS or Sony have bought the exclusive rights to the game, there is no reason console games can't be released on it.
Homercles care not for beans.
Matty

Forum Bot

Unread postby c0mc0 » 5 Mar 12, 7:29 pm

I work in IT and am a huge PC gamer and I still think the concept, if pulled off correctly, sounds awesome.

If Valve (or their 'partners') can supply me with:
- a small, powerful, reasonably quiet box that can sit in my living room, and
- allow me to play my Steam catalog of games (I'd even settle for "Steambox certified" games in the future) on my couch with a well built controller, and
- provide the capability to steam videos and other media (their own app store concept for such things would be ok if they didn't allow straight windows apps to run)

I reckon I'd play a lot more of the racing games I've got if I could easily play it from the living room. If they can do all of the above I'd buy one. Yes, I can build a media centre pc and throw it in the living room but I have neither the time or the inclination to stuff around with stuff like that any more. If I can plug this in and it just works, then I'm all for it.

Being able to use the box as a media player is an essential for me, though. I don't see the point of having what is essentially a PC sitting in the living room that can't perform that function. I'd love for it to have a blu-ray player too but there just isn't a lot of chance of that happening with it being a Steam box. :(

I'm not sure why you're all thinking that Microsoft would be against selling more copies of Windows, though by having this Steambox run Windows. (What else would it run, btw?) Would it eat in to the 360 market? I doubt it - this would appear to appeal more to PC gamers. Even if it does, IT companies like Microsoft often make partnerships that outsiders would consider unlikely. Like partnering with VMware and Citrix when you're in direct competition for your virtualisation platforms, or with Apple for Office for Mac etc. At the end of the day, if there are now 4 major consoles in the market instead of 3 and Microsoft stands to profit from two of them, that's likely a win on the balance sheet for the company.

As for it running other console games (Nintendo, Playstation), I find that extremely unlikely as these have completely different CPU architectures.

Matty wrote:What's stopping it from running console games? Unless MS or Sony have bought the exclusive rights to the game, there is no reason console games can't be released on it.

The fact that, at least with Sony, their PS3 operating system is proprietary and would not be able to be sold or adapted without Sony's express permission, not to mention access to their source code. I imagine the same is try for the custom Windows install on the Xbox 360.

Technically speaking, there's no reason 360 games couldn't be made to run on Steambox as they run on the DirectX platform with x86 architecture and the 360 essentially runs a cut down Win2k3 kernel to begin with (from memory). Whether Microsoft would allow this is another matter but I could potentially see that making financial sense.

In the early days, the 360 was sold at a loss with the money to be made back in Microsoft's cut from games sales. If they aren't having to pay anything for the console manufacture and are actually making a cut from licensing Windows for them, then they could stand to make a lot of money from pure games sales.

Imagine a dual PC / 360 games console - that would be fantastic. I doubt it would happen though - Microsoft have their own roadmap for the future of the Xbox platform - including their next generation box that is in the works. I doubt they would potentially put that in jeopardy for an unexpected offer from Valve to team up.
c0mc0

Padawan

Unread postby Nebby_99 » 5 Mar 12, 7:35 pm

TRB wrote:What I don't understand is if developing for PC is a problem BECAUSE of varying PC configs then pick a 'recommended' PC config for the game you are making and make the game run brilliantly on that config and let people with other configs sort themselves out at launch.

Great idea if you want most of your first-week sales to be returned, so you can go broke.

Alternatively, get the platform provider (Valve) to source a 'recommended' build and sell it pre-configured at a good price. Then ALL developers planning to distribute on SteamBox or PC develop for that standard build. Then everybody wins.

DirectX was intended to mitigate this hardware problem and it was doing well until version 9/10. Once the Xbox took off, Microsoft didn't want you gaming on your PC so they didn't invest in developing it properly.
Last edited by Nebby_99 on 6 Mar 12, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nebby_99

Padawan

Unread postby revengous » 5 Mar 12, 7:38 pm

TRB wrote:however I highly doubt that is the real problem for making games on PC, everything has been pretty easy since direct X because dominant.
sure it was a problem back in the day when openGL and other stuff was popular too but now ...

sounds like BS to me.

open GL was(is) actually easier to work with. People like John Carmack have spoken out against direct X.

TRB wrote:onfigs then pick a 'recommended' PC config for the game you are making and make the game run brilliantly on that config and let people with other configs sort themselves out at launch.
sure after put some patches in get it working for as many as possible, but dev for a setup and go for it.

The only problem with this is that you are cutting out a massive part of your target audience - if you build to 1 spec, theres no guarantee that it will work for different specs.

Everyone seems to be focusing on the steam feature (I haven't read the entire thread) but that just looks like a bonus - to me, Im seeing the next gen console with no competition, if they announce this soon odds are, that they are far ahead from their competitors (microsoft just bought out kinect - they wont be retiring the xbox360 for awhile, same with ps3), suddenly valve owns a large part of the console world as well as the pc world
revengous

Unread postby -=THUNDERBIRD=- » 6 Mar 12, 6:31 am

It would be cool to be able to access your Steam Library and the Games you purchase give you the PC version aswell as the console version all for the single purchase price.

-=THUNDERBIRD=-

Regular

Unread postby Auld » 6 Mar 12, 6:39 am

-=THUNDERBIRD=- wrote:It would be cool to be able to access your Steam Library and the Games you purchase give you the PC version aswell as the console version all for the single purchase price.

They already do this for the Mac/PC games, I would hope it would also be the case for PC/Steam Box.
Auld

Unread postby cefiro » 6 Mar 12, 7:00 pm

As long as they make it so all programmers can code to the metal - thats some serious power!

If its got an OS that I can use email and browse and use apps then i think its a godsend!

then there will be just tablets, consoles, steambox and workhorse pcs
MMORPG=Mostly Men Online Role Playing Girls
(I use a proxy now so im ready)
cefiro

Regular

Unread postby PizzaCat » 6 Mar 12, 10:06 pm

Microsoft are going to buy steam, launch it with halo 4 on the next gen Xbox.
PizzaCat

Player

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 9 Mar 12, 7:12 am

Wrong information is wrong:

Shooting Down Rumors, Valve Says They’re Not Making a Game Console Any Time Soon
Delay those dreams of a Steam Box competing with a PlayStation, Xbox or Wii. Valve Software is not making a gaming console in the near future and that the various rumors swirling around don't add up to them making their own set-top box.
"We're prepping the Steam Big Picture Mode UI and getting ready to ship that, so we're building boxes to test that on," he said, referring to a new Steam interface that will make the online gaming service easily useable for people who want to play Steam games on a PC that's connected to their TV. "We're also doing a bunch of different experiments with biometric feedback and stuff like that, which we've talked about a fair amount.

"All of that is stuff that we're working on, but it's a long way from Valve shipping any sort of hardware."

Lombardi refused to flat-out say that Valve isn't working on a console. When I posted it to him this way—"What you're saying is, there's definitely nothing coming any time soon, nothing at GDC or E3, but what you're not ruling out is the possibility that, hey, maybe some day Valve would make hardware. "-he said, "I think that's accurate."

Rumors of an impending Steam Box have heated over the last week, since leading tech site The Verge reported that Valve was working on a console that it would develop in partnership with various hardware manufacturers, similar to Google's approach with the Android platform. Some of the evidence cited were patents for configurable controllers and rumors of an incorporation of Valve's public interest in tracking and reacting to player's biometrics into a Steam console. The Verge report also cited a hardware spec that turned out to match that of a PC built last fall by Valve's Greg Coomer. Could that have been a prototype, we had wondered?

"Greg's one of the guys leading the effort of the Big Picture mode," Lombardi said. "The idea is that you can take Steam to any display. What we're trying to do is say, 'here's a box that we're going to use for testing that's common for Big Picture mode and get performance at a base level.'... We're always putting boxes together. Going all the way back to the Half-Life 1 days, we built special boxes to test our software render… it's just part of development."

http://kotaku.com/5891697/shooting-down ... -time-soon
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

PreviousNext

Return to News:: General