Rumour: Valve to unveil 'Steam Box' Console at GDC

General news and announcements

Moderator: Content Admins

Re: Rumour: Valve to unveil 'Steam Box' Console at GDC

Unread postby diamondd » 4 Mar 12, 4:50 pm

SirCabbage wrote:If the "Steam Box" is just a PC that uses a custom windows based OS/Steam Based OS which is compatible with windows + a TV for a monitor then it would be good.

Having my PC games able to play anywhere, even on a TV would be handy, especially if games released for the Steambox could also be used on normal computers via steam. However, the chances of this concept being so cross platform friendly seems minor. so.. meh

seriously?

maybe if you ignore the fact that valve have given us steamworks and cross platform multiplayer in portal 2...
diamondd

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby caitsith01 » 4 Mar 12, 5:11 pm

Would it be mouse/keyboard?

Will it let me run things (on a version of Windows) that aren't Steam?

If the answers are "yes" and "yes" then I'm interested...
caitsith01

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby imcloughy11 » 4 Mar 12, 6:57 pm

I cant see Microsoft letting them use any semblance of windows for this thing... and without that it is useless.

I love the idea though, being guaranteed the game will work with no fiddling around because it was designed with the specific valve box hardware in mind would be great. Nothing will change in the rest of the pc gaming market, we will still have to deal with **** drivers etc.

If it turns out to be a real thing though, both Microsoft and Sony have something to worry about if the rumored hardware specs are to be believed.
imcloughy11

Padawan

Unread postby Fat Dog » 4 Mar 12, 7:14 pm

like big kev im excited
also
RIP big kev
Fat Dog

Padawan

Unread postby Nebby_99 » 4 Mar 12, 7:44 pm

Best case: They build a custom frontend on the Windows 7/8 kernel with DirectX included, so it's like an ideal gaming OS. Can't see Microsoft rolling with that though.
Nebby_99

Padawan

Unread postby Ooshp » 4 Mar 12, 10:59 pm

Surely it wouldn't be compatible with Steam's entire catalogue. I don't see how you could guarantee compatibility with 1500 odd games, AND convince all the AAA developers to support your platform with new titles.

Sounds like either total bollocks or just a mini Windows box with the Steam interface as the UI. And not upgradeable.
Ooshp

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby DarkMellie » 4 Mar 12, 11:10 pm

I fail at technology... even if the SteamBox was something I just plugged in to the TV and it let me play some games, I'd be the first to line up.
ImageImage
DarkMellie

Unread postby diamondd » 4 Mar 12, 11:11 pm

Ooshp wrote:Surely it wouldn't be compatible with Steam's entire catalogue. I don't see how you could guarantee compatibility with 1500 odd games, AND convince all the AAA developers to support your platform with new titles.

Sounds like either total bollocks or just a mini Windows box with the Steam interface as the UI. And not upgradeable.

well that's exactly what it sounds like to me...
diamondd

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby -=THUNDERBIRD=- » 5 Mar 12, 6:39 am

Having access to mods on a console through steam works would grab alot of players I'd think.

-=THUNDERBIRD=-

Regular

Unread postby Nebby_99 » 5 Mar 12, 7:08 am

Ooshp wrote:Surely it wouldn't be compatible with Steam's entire catalogue. I don't see how you could guarantee compatibility with 1500 odd games, AND convince all the AAA developers to support your platform with new titles.

I'd guess that moving forward developers could pay a reasonable fee to Valve for them to test their game and guarantee it will work with the SteamBox.
Nebby_99

Padawan

Unread postby DoHo_ » 5 Mar 12, 8:01 am

Wait, what? Did Gabe say about a week ago they would only produce hardware if they "had to" to stay competitive?

Anyway, doesn't interest me. I have a beast PC and there's no way in hell they'd be getting exclusives from other platforms, so it seems to me like it'd be an alternative to a gaming PC... and if you need a console because your PC isn't good enough to game on then holy hell go and get a job at McDonalds and work there for a few hours because gaming PC's are dirt cheap these days. If it had great hardware then it'd be costly and you'd still be better off with a gaming PC.
DoHo_

Padawan

Unread postby Cyrinno » 5 Mar 12, 8:46 am

I already have a steambox, a wireless keyboard and mouse and my video card has a tv out. What else do you need?
Cyrinno

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Nebby_99 » 5 Mar 12, 9:01 am

This is about developers and cross-platform integration, not an enhancement to your elite PC experience.

They're making a console. I'm just hoping they'll do it the way it should have been done in the first place. Much of the convenience and simplicity, without the platform lockdown, limited control options, region-locking, and exorbitant prices.
Nebby_99

Padawan

Unread postby TRB » 5 Mar 12, 12:25 pm

Cyrinno wrote:I already have a steambox, a wireless keyboard and mouse and my video card has a tv out. What else do you need?

Thats my opinion too but apparently there are people for whom 'installing a game' is too complicated [are these people allowed to drive cars?] and want something they can 'just plug in'.

IMO if a game is easier to play then install then where is the challenge in playing it?
TRB

Story Teller

Unread postby PinothyJ » 5 Mar 12, 12:50 pm

-=THUNDERBIRD=- wrote:Having access to mods on a console through steam works would grab alot of players I'd think.
You do have access to mods on your console (PS3 only as 360 requires Microsoft approval for everything) but developers simply do not support it. I think the last game I ever saw with mod support was UT3 and it could play most mods made for the PC release.

What is possible and what developers make possible are two different things…
PinothyJ

1337 p0st3r

PreviousNext

Return to News:: General