Tribes Ascend Open Beta Now Underway, Now With Arena Deathmatch

General news and announcements

Tribes Ascend Open Beta Now Underway, Now With Arena Deathmatch

Unread postby News Portal » 26 Feb 12, 11:11 am

[app=8130]Tribes: Ascend[/app] has entered Open Beta – now anyone in the world can download and play this fast-paced free-to-play online shooter.

To mark the occasion, Hi-Rez Studios has released a major patch for the game, adding a new game type, Arena Deathmatch, along with new maps, new unlockable items, new default suits, and a salvo of bug fixes and balance tweaks...

Read full article by James Cottee
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: Tribes Ascend Open Beta Now Underway, Now With Arena Dea

Unread postby Syncourt » 26 Feb 12, 1:29 pm

If you're sick of all the modern battlefield of honor games trying to be the same thing, this is probably the one for you.

It's pretty rare that I get into a competitive FPS these days, let alone one that's actually heavily populated such as this. I honestly never expected this to be so popular and I think a heavy part in that is due to the awesome F2P model they're using for the game. I've got 4 classes almost maxed now and haven't spent a single cent of my tribes gold that I got from pre-ordering.

If you enjoy the game and want to get things unlocked but don't want to spend much I'd recommend just buying something from the store to get VIP status (which nets you 50% more XP in-game which is used to purchase upgrades).

Be weary though, it's not the sort of game you can jump into as a new player and instantly start killing players left right and center. There is a large difference between the class playstyles and they all take their own fair share of practice to master. You can get good at one and then become a complete noob again moving to another class.

But that just gives the game a tonne more replay value.
Syncourt

Story Teller

Unread postby lucassot » 26 Feb 12, 1:41 pm

I agree with syncourt. It's refreshing to play a fps with old schol gameplay that rewards skill over the unlocks etc. It's so fun and am excited to see how it goes on release, definitely brigs back old fps memories. Also loving the newly added arena game type :D
lucassot

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby tranquil » 26 Feb 12, 2:09 pm

Downloading now, keen to get back into Tribes :)
tranquil

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby exe3 » 26 Feb 12, 2:17 pm

I very rarely have to download updates, almost makes me feel like a hidden program is running in the background autoupdating the game. :?
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 26 Feb 12, 2:28 pm

Will try when i get home :-)
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby lucassot » 26 Feb 12, 2:33 pm

exe3 wrote:I very rarely have to download updates, almost makes me feel like a hidden program is running in the background autoupdating the game. :?

There is an option when installing for background updates. If you said yes to it hat would be why :) I have it on and my download finished downloading without me even knowing heh.
lucassot

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Syncourt » 27 Feb 12, 12:49 pm

Oh just a warning for those using the latest 295.73 Nvidia drivers, they seem to be causing problems for a lot of users atm.

If you experience crashes with them like I have and don't want to wait for some fixed drivers to be released, get the last 285.62 whql drivers and make sure you uninstall the PhysX drivers before rolling back.
Syncourt

Story Teller

Return to News:: General