You Know What I Love? Old-School First-Person Shooters

General news and announcements

You Know What I Love? Old-School First-Person Shooters

Unread postby News Portal » 21 Feb 12, 12:34 pm

The horror and atmosphere of old-school FPS games has been lost in their modern incarnation, says Brendan Keogh. Games like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and Marathon still have a lot to teach us about how to make a truly immersive FPS experience.

Read full article by Brendan Keogh
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: You Know What I Love? Old-School First-Person Shooters

Unread postby nafem » 21 Feb 12, 12:36 pm

now its all full of XP and achievements!

i want to point, click, kill.
not gather XP, otherwise id go play WOW.

might be the reason CS/S is still so popular ;)
nafem

Padawan

Unread postby Vid » 21 Feb 12, 12:43 pm

I love the 3 Marathon games, they're my favourite pure fps games. And now they're free.

But yes, there was something about 90s shooters that makes them awesome
"You are really good at killing things. I'm impressed." - Durandal
Vid

Story Teller

Unread postby MuscularTeeth » 21 Feb 12, 12:59 pm

i still have my original doom 1 & 2 CD's.

i remember doom2 - and being in awe of how FAST the doors would open and close.
MUSCULARTEETH - Many things, mostly to do with Art.
MuscularTeeth

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby sPOiDar » 21 Feb 12, 1:04 pm

I have such fond memories of playing Doom with a Soundblaster and the curtains drawn, so badass.

Doom and Quake made id gods. Now they're making RAGE for consoles :(
Last edited by sPOiDar on 21 Feb 12, 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sPOiDar

Padawan

Unread postby Lumen Melano » 21 Feb 12, 1:04 pm

I still loves me some Doom. Particularly the homebrew port for DS, the smaller screen makes the graphics not as dated and the dpad and shoulder buttons makes circle strafing an absolute breeze. Great fun!

And love the mention of Retroblazer, that unites the best bits of 90's FPSes with high res, anti aliased sprites and geometry. I recommend everyone give it a try. It is a highly polished alpha.
Lumen Melano

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby wyver » 21 Feb 12, 1:13 pm

I just loaded up old doom and added the mod Brutal doom its dope!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLKZhu_d ... plpp_video
wyver

Padawan

Unread postby Artful-dodgeR » 21 Feb 12, 1:21 pm

Q3/Arena... How i miss thee.
Artful-dodgeR

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby DoHo_ » 21 Feb 12, 1:50 pm

I think people who still consider these games good are looking at them with nostalgia. Hell, even Minecraft plays off nostalgia with the pixelated graphics.

And honestly... anything that Doom or Quake can do a modern shooter can do as well.. I don't get "not worrying about looking up and down"... fine then, don't look up and down when you play CoD or Halo or whatever game you're playing. Just strafe and see how fun that is.

I grew up with these games hell, (pun intended) Doom was one of my first games (along with Wolfenstein 3D, GTA1 and Blood which I believe was a mod of Doom, Starcraft and Total Annhilation) and I can say unflinchingly that for a modern gamer they are easily forgettable, except of course for their historical and influential importance.
DoHo_

Padawan

Unread postby Edward » 21 Feb 12, 2:01 pm

MuscularTeeth wrote:i still have my original doom 1 & 2 CD's.

i remember doom2 - and being in awe of how FAST the doors would open and close.

CD's? Bloody hell I still got my floppies of these games.

I don't know if its just that we grew up with them, or if its more? I too think these games are scarier than modern FPSes.

Marathon I played for the first time a few years back I just went wow this was good and advanced for the time... But it lacked the character of Doom and the exciting feeling of Doom's weapons.

I'd also suggest people look at the game Strife.

@DoHo_ Blood (extremely hard game!) was a game made with the Duke Nukem 3D engine called Build, Shadow Warrior and a heap of other games also were made with the Build engine, which was originally made by a 14 year old kid (Ken Silverman)!
Silence of the Terminals - An educational FPS game.
Edward

Padawan

Unread postby Bek » 21 Feb 12, 2:18 pm

Artful-dodgeR wrote:Q3/Arena... How i miss thee.

And quake 2...
What can change the nature of a man?
Bek

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Crocadrilla » 21 Feb 12, 3:11 pm

Artful-dodgeR wrote:Q3/Arena... How i miss thee.

Alot of us play Quake Live, and a fair few play CPMA ( #promode.au on gamesurge)

With that one less axis to worry about, there is room in the old FPSes for a slick, twitchy style of game that you can’t quite get in a modern game

And with that axis there is even more room for a twitch style of game. Its just that modern games are less about doing amazing skills, and more about running down a corridor or something.
Crocadrilla

Padawan

Unread postby nafem » 21 Feb 12, 4:17 pm

DoHo_ wrote:
And honestly... anything that Doom or Quake can do a modern shooter can do as well.. I don't get "not worrying about looking up and down"... fine then, don't look up and down when you play CoD or Halo or whatever game you're playing. Just strafe and see how fun that is.

lolz

the real reason is the evolution of the games and players age.

When doom was out etc, it was WOW, i remember q3 comming out, ROUNDED looking edges, first game to ever do it, ID WERE gaming GODS.

Now take the young gamer we were many years ago, they start with a new generation of games, they might reflect on bf2/bf3/cod or whatever when they are older.

also we were lucky to see the evolution of 2D to 3D gaming, which was amazing and a huge curve of evolution in a short time, i dont think we will see such a huge progression forward ever again.
nafem

Padawan

Unread postby Ploxum » 21 Feb 12, 5:08 pm

- @ DoHo - You know, I can't agree with this at all. I started gaming well after the doom period, I cut my teeth on the n64 - which was definitly a generation or two (and a model dimension) on in terms of gameplay mechanic. And I played adventure games for the most part on it, aside from goldeneye multi. I was aware of games going back to a cousin's amiga 500, but it wasn't something I was paying attention to. I've played doom seriously because of steam - no other reason.

At the time PC gaming seemed to be far more dominated by flight sims and puzzle games than it is today. And that enviroment seems to show through in the FPS. These games gave gratification to the player through their actions, it's expected they'll figure out the techniques needed to be competent. Currently fps games seem to be an assault rifle saturated yellow brick road of wobbly camera perspective and excessive dialogue, and we apparently need Sam Worthington to read us a bed time story as we play.

In Doom, for example, one is flung into a maze with no way back and one way out. You'll be aware that you need to find a sequence of keys to progress - but it's a maze - any number of secret doors, toxic pits, hidden lifts and sunken rooms stand between you and escape. And thats without having fought any of the demons. Often the the keys or even the exit itself is on the on display right at the start of the level, and it'll be up to you to work it out. You'll have refer to your map often and you'll have back track, many frustrating attempts might stand between you and success. Player reward comes from exploring and discovering the 'how' of the labyrinth you've been cast into.

Much of this design seems absent from modern fps. Rather than a maze, the levels feel like a long corridor interspersed with one click interactive events. 'Immersion' (urgh) seems to come from progressing long and convoluted plots with large voice actor pools and dramatic fixed perspective moments. CoD (and all those types, MoH BF single etc...) seem more /primitive/ than Doom in play mechanic, more like Time Crisis with a strafe function than Operation Flashpoint lite (what they ought to be with the power available in 2012). Ironically I have the most fun in these titles during their on rails moments - firing drone missles and seeing something satisfying occur. Theres no 'how' in these games, only 'when'.

Theres no combat freedom, or repercussion in the new titles. One never feels the dread and anxiety of doom, when you've barely survived a fight and must scrounge the few remaining health packs and shells - dreading the denizens that yet lurk in the gloom ahead. You'll never feel the exhilaration of your first step into a seething mass of enemy, only to bait them back into a tight arena - where the crossfire compells the AI to turn upon itself, in an orgy of uncontrolled demonic slaughter.

Doom isn't only scarier, it's alot better. (soz to be so long winded)
Ploxum

Player

Unread postby rcame26 » 21 Feb 12, 5:58 pm

Hehehe in literally every fps ive played in my life. AI crossfire has been the first goal XD
DOOM was freaking Epic Doom 2 was epic, i havent seen any games with as much fun!
Darkness Is Eternal - ShadowStrike
rcame26

Player

Next

Return to News:: General