games.on.net Retiring Urban Terror Servers

General news and announcements

Re: games.on.net Retiring Urban Terror Servers

Unread postby Barramack » 19 Jan 12, 7:22 pm

Well well well, it finally happened. I heard whispers from those in the know, but I never imagined the day would come. The server was always on the bottom of GON's server priorities, even back in the heyday, when it was consistently full for 20+ hours a day.

Thanks for all the fun times everyone: the old players who came and went, the admin team (great bunch of people, even if say so myself), the hackers and troublemakers who gave me and MM so much pleasure to slap, kick, mute, and ban (not necessarily in that order!).
Barramack

Padawan

Unread postby Miss.Murder » 19 Jan 12, 7:36 pm

bArgh wrote:
Hope this is not a sign of things to come under a new management.

GoN is not under new management nor will it be IMO.
Miss.Murder

Senior Minecraft Admin

Unread postby tranquil » 19 Jan 12, 9:43 pm

End of an era, used to play this and ET back in the day before i had a decent PC and could afford to buy games. Farewell!
tranquil

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Tim Colwill » 19 Jan 12, 9:49 pm

bArgh wrote:Just a year ago gon#1 UrT server was in the top 20 in the world on gametracker. Sad to see a clan can run a very popular public UrT server on a shoestring budget, while an ISP throws a towel in the ring.

Hope this is not a sign of things to come under a new management.

We only decided to retire the server because a handful of people were using it. We didn't just throw darts at a dartboard and end up hitting "Urban Terror" or anything :)

GON is not under new management and the same decision would have been made with any other game whose numbers didn't justify its continued resource allocation.
Tim Colwill

Editor in Chief

Unread postby Miss.Murder » 19 Jan 12, 9:55 pm

If we had made a public announcement to try to get the servers active again, I reckon they would have died again after a short time. We managed to get a full server the other night for 2 hours and then it died again, back to sitting there empty. If people had wanted the servers that bad, they would have been making more of an effort to utilise them. The statistics for the recent server usage was pathetic and I don't blame GoN at all for pulling the plug on it. This wasn't just an over night decision, it's something that has been monitored and the results didn't get any better over time.
Miss.Murder

Senior Minecraft Admin

Unread postby dabidoo » 19 Jan 12, 11:14 pm

But seriously, how resource heavy is an empty urt server?
Losing ISP support is a massive blow to the game, really disappointing to see

To anyone reading this, check out Urban Terror.
I've played countless online fps' and this is the one I always keep coming back to

It may be free but it is better than every paid game in terms of gameplay and fun
Damn skilful too
dabidoo

n00bie

Unread postby Cozi » 20 Jan 12, 1:50 am

dabidoo wrote:But seriously, how resource heavy is an empty urt server?

Its not resource heavy at all ;)

Tim Colwill wrote:and the hardware redirected to more important needs.

They are being retired so that the hardware can be used elsewhere for games that will populate and attract more people as they have died :(
Cozi

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby thelionroars » 20 Jan 12, 3:22 am

Just a couple of months ago GON#1 was getting 15-20 people a night and on weekends. Our server (WC) would often be just as full. But now ours is about the same and GON has died. If GON#2 had been changed to some of the alternate maps that were popular when voting was enabled, it would have been used. I think the main reason though is the amount of new games that have come out now: Battlefield 3, Tribes Ascend Beta, and even Skyrim and MW3 are new and more attractive particularly if you have played UrT for a long time. If people are like me though they will come back to Urban Terror, I think the game has staying power and would be a lot more popular if more people knew about it. Maybe if HD ever comes out (not holding my breath) GON will consider putting servers back on?

Anyway see everyone on Sydney CTF (as long as you are not a banned hacker or troll :2gunsfiring_v1: )
thelionroars

n00bie

Unread postby hd212 » 21 Jan 12, 8:05 pm

Oh wow talk about poor timing... After a couple of years in the wilderness I decided I'd fire up Urt for a quiet sat. night...

Well, I just want to thank all the players who used to hang out on Internode / GON #1 back in the day. Also thanks to the admins who did a good job if you irc'ed them etc.

Thanks for all the laughs and ggs

HD212 / ballantine
hd212

n00bie

Unread postby Barramack » 21 Jan 12, 11:40 pm

Thanks hd212. You were one of the select group of regulars who always maintained a high standard of conduct and sportsmanship and had the respect of the admin team.
Barramack

Padawan

Unread postby =WuTang=SpawnCamper » 22 Feb 12, 5:29 am

I so sad. GON(WuTang)#1 server was awesome 2 years ago, then the IP address changed, and a bunch of players disappeared, then B3 was introduced, and more people left.

I regularly joined GON1 when it was empty, in the hope that some players would join, and it worked occasionally, but it seems most people never bothered to rescan for the IP, so they didn't know I was there. So now WC Syd CTF is full a lot, but it has some weird rules that spoil it.

I only hope that UrT HD comes out and GON decides to create a server for it.

Thanks to the admins for doing a great job, and thanks to GON for providing the server.
=WuTang=SpawnCamper

n00bie

Unread postby Onyx » 22 Feb 12, 9:41 pm

My predictions are that UrT HD will never come out, and even if it does, it will be so far behind the times that no one will be interested and it won't catch on. R.I.P. UrT. You had a good run.
[#Bravonyx]
Onyx

Story Teller

Unread postby cyclobs » 23 Feb 12, 9:31 am

Onyx wrote:My predictions are that UrT HD will never come out, and even if it does, it will be so far behind the times that no one will be interested and it won't catch on. R.I.P. UrT. You had a good run.

this.
cyclobs

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Previous

Return to News:: General