Review: Orcs Must Die!

General news and announcements

Review: Orcs Must Die!

Unread postby News Portal » 3 Jan 12, 5:39 pm

Place traps to murder orcs as they stream through your fortress, adding to the action with your own spells and crossbow? That's [app=8099]Orcs Must Die![/app], another entry in the expanding "action tower defence" genre and one that promises a good wacky bang for your buck. Tim gets all OMG about OMD.

Read full article by Tim Colwill
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: Review: Orcs Must Die!

Unread postby Napoletana » 3 Jan 12, 5:52 pm

picked up OMD and all the DLC during the steam xmas sale, lots of fun, but after 15 hours can't see myself going back to it unless they add multiplayer
Napoletana

Player

Unread postby Drakand » 3 Jan 12, 6:10 pm

Brilliant game, absolutely worth a purchase and playthrough!
If you aren't sure, just grab the demo and run through first 3 levels, you will not be disappointed!
Drakand

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Lord_PorkSword » 3 Jan 12, 8:12 pm

Definately a fun game! I'm 2/3 of the way through the game now and enjoying every minute! :mrgreen:
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your actions!

Unreal Old Friends
Lord_PorkSword

Padawan

Unread postby extremedavo » 3 Jan 12, 11:25 pm

Really fun game. Worth the purchase.
extremedavo

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Novocaine » 4 Jan 12, 1:13 am

Pretty cool that they're considering adding MP. It is a very well polished game. But I'd argue that if you had to choose, Dungeon Defenders is better. Solely based on the fact that there's an MP component. Then again, they're cheap enough that you can own both for less than the cost of an AAA title.
PLAYGUUU AAHHHH!
Novocaine

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby XViper » 4 Jan 12, 10:03 am

It was like $3.74US multiple times over the xmas period.
Got hours of fun out of it, with hours more to come. :)
XViper

Forum Bot

Unread postby coatsy22 » 4 Jan 12, 10:44 am

Novocaine wrote:Pretty cool that they're considering adding MP. It is a very well polished game. But I'd argue that if you had to choose, Dungeon Defenders is better. Solely based on the fact that there's an MP component. Then again, they're cheap enough that you can own both for less than the cost of an AAA title.

I rate OMD! over dungeon defenders in every category - It just plays so much better, controls are perfect etc, whereas dungeon defenders is pretty clunky in comparisson.

All my friends who have played both have wished that the dungeon defenders coop style had been built up from the OMD engine - it just runs rings around Dungeon defenders.
coatsy22

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Syncourt » 4 Jan 12, 12:33 pm

Novocaine wrote:But I'd argue that if you had to choose, Dungeon Defenders is better.

I'd definitely agree with you. There's not just the MP though, there is actual replay value in Dungeon Defenders. The inventory/equippment system, the pets system, The deep random loot system, the large amount of difficulty choices, the amount of different character styles to play as, upgradable towers with 5 levels, the challenge modes, strategic mode, survival mode (that's a biggy right there for any defense game).

Packed with an incredible art style it's very impressive for a game designed by what? 9 people? Although I must admit I play with post processing effects off in Dungeon Defenders because I don't like the overbright cartoony colours.

I've played about 24 hours on orcs must die and almost completed everything in it already, where I've played like 118 hours on dungeon defenders and haven't even cleared half the content.

Plus I find OMD a little bit to reliant on the FPS/Action side as compared to the tower defense side.

Both fun games though and worth the purchase.
Syncourt

Story Teller

Unread postby Aeolus_C » 4 Jan 12, 10:43 pm

Syncourt wrote:Plus I find OMD a little bit to reliant on the FPS/Action side as compared to the tower defense side.

:?
Aeolus_C

Padawan

Unread postby Syncourt » 5 Jan 12, 3:25 pm

Aeolus_C wrote:
Syncourt wrote:Plus I find OMD a little bit to reliant on the FPS/Action side as compared to the tower defense side.

:?

Oh? You didn't notice all those levels where it gives you 2-4 directions and only enough cash at the start to cover maybe one of those entrances? On WarMage difficulty it gets even worse.

Especially that level that gives you 4 different directions to cover and starts you with enough cash to put like 1 guardian +1 archer on each side. Plus doesnt even tell you which direction they will come from each wave, just what doors they might come out of.

There were plenty of maps where it was most viable to cover only 1 side with towers while covering the other yourself.
Syncourt

Story Teller

Return to News:: General