Hands-On: Mass Effect 3

General news and announcements

Hands-On: Mass Effect 3

Unread postby News Portal » 18 Sep 11, 12:50 pm

Having so far managed to avoid being swept out of the Tokyo Game Show on the business end of a broom, Nick Winter combat-rolled into the Electronic Arts booth and managed to go hands-on with [app=7843]Mass Effect 3[/app] for a short while. Here's what he thought...

Read full article by Nick Winter
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: Hands-On: Mass Effect 3

Unread postby Fitzad » 18 Sep 11, 12:55 pm

I seriously can;t wait for this game! :agree:
Fitzad

Padawan

Unread postby Marius » 18 Sep 11, 12:58 pm

I'm more interested in how much story continuity will be present from ME2.

I hope they don't use a deus ex to 'resolve' some things. Like Garrus mysteriously coming back to life in my game.
Marius

Needs more Cleric

Unread postby akira675 » 18 Sep 11, 1:08 pm

What more could a fan want?

Hidden: show
Stupid mining technique? Bring back the Mako exploration and non linear levels.
Trying to sprint and having Shepard throw himself at a wall instead. Gets old, allow PC users to, oh I dunno, Change control setups.
Skill trees not reduced to 6 abilities.
Weapons and Armor not reduced to single tree upgrading.
Ammo? Really..

An experience more similar to ME1. :\ Still, the storyline is epic and I must have my conclusion!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
akira675

Padawan

Unread postby RSOblivion » 18 Sep 11, 1:18 pm

Agreed akira675, ME2 was dumbed down ME1. I prefered ME1's play and they could have made the Mako exploration much more interesting instead of that stupid Scan the planet **** in ME2.

Ah well it's their game and we'll see the end of the story. Pity it was never modable in any feasible way as it could have been even better with community input...
RSOblivion

Padawan

Unread postby Bek » 18 Sep 11, 1:18 pm

akira675 wrote:An experience more similar to ME1. :\ Still, the storyline is epic and I must have my conclusion!
What is wrong with ammo? =/ For ME it's more the story/universe than the gameplay that makes it interesting. Which is a shame but I still enjoy them for what they are, not what they could be.

Which is nice for a change.
What can change the nature of a man?
Bek

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby André Axe'm » 18 Sep 11, 1:18 pm

Re: Interesting in hidden text.
I did totally raid most of their places in the first game...
André Axe'm

NWN Development

Unread postby DarkMellie » 18 Sep 11, 1:43 pm

I'm solely interested in the story... best grand sci-fi story in a long time.
ImageImage
GoN TS Channel: Mellie's Random Games
Channel Password: gonmellie
DarkMellie

Unread postby Matthyew82 » 18 Sep 11, 2:09 pm

I got bored driving the bloody mako everywhere to complete stuff, i thought the mining was more streamlined
Matthyew82

Player

Unread postby Vencha88 » 18 Sep 11, 2:19 pm

The imporovments from ME1 to ME2 were great. The upgrade system and inventory was stupid chunky. Sure there was lots of options, but there was just simply a "best" choice for most things.

Story wise, I can't wait. Maybe my poor old Shep who killed Ashley mid relationship, has sex with Jack too soon and upset Tali will finally find love. Hopefully with Garrus.
Vencha88

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby Ana_Aryani » 18 Sep 11, 3:17 pm

I can't wait for this game!! omgomgomgomgomgomg. In the months before it's release I am going to play through 1 and 2 again, just cause I can!
Ana_Aryani

Regular

Unread postby Sphinx2000 » 18 Sep 11, 4:36 pm

RSOblivion wrote:Ah well it's their game and we'll see the end of the story. Pity it was never modable in any feasible way as it could have been even better with community input...

I was reading about "Flash's Mass Effect 2 Mod" the other day, that was released last month.. "to save the player’s time spent on the scanning minigame, to balance a few aspects of the game and to make the gameplay closer to the game’s lore."

Changelog:

1.Jacob’s weapon loadout changed to assault rifle + heavy pistol due to his military training,
2.non-combat storm stamina and regeneration 5x original value,
3.like in ME1 shields don’t block powers anymore, making gameplay closer to the lore,
4.second playthrough resource bonus increased to 500000, making planet scanning unnecessary,
5.planet scanning speed is equal as when the scanner is not active,
6.money bonus from imported savegame moved to second playthrough bonus category to make it available in NG+,
7.Geth Pulse Rifle damage 2.5x of original value, this ups its DPS to the same level as the Avenger Rifle's (originally Geth Pulse Rifle's base damage and DPS are the lowest of all the equipable guns in the game),
8.enemy shields and barriers (not armor) set as rechargable to remove player’s unfair advantage over AI,
9.shields don’t absorb full damage on break anymore (example; before, having 1 shield point would absorb any ammount of damage on last hit before reducing health),
10.added 20 top rated male face presets and 30 top rated female presets, faces codes from Masseffect2faces.com
11.all ingame cinematics set as skippable. (NOTE: although all cinematics are set as skippable, some of them ignore settings from ini file and can't be skipped in game. Can't do anything about it, the game decides by itself in this case)
12.logo cinematics disabled

http://www.moddb.com/mods/flashs-mass-effect-2-mod1
Sphinx2000

Padawan

Unread postby cromfayer » 18 Sep 11, 4:42 pm

Then it looks like my hopes for it being a lot different from ME2 were in vane.
I really don't understand how that game got GOTY's. Sure the story and immersion is great, it plays like a good sci-fi tv show, but the combat was god awful.
cromfayer

Player

Unread postby InAUGral » 18 Sep 11, 8:47 pm

Sphinx2000 wrote:
RSOblivion wrote:Ah well it's their game and we'll see the end of the story. Pity it was never modable in any feasible way as it could have been even better with community input...

I was reading about "Flash's Mass Effect 2 Mod" the other day, that was released last month.. "to save the player’s time spent on the scanning minigame, to balance a few aspects of the game and to make the gameplay closer to the game’s lore."

Changelog:

1.Jacob’s weapon loadout changed to assault rifle + heavy pistol due to his military training,
2.non-combat storm stamina and regeneration 5x original value,
3.like in ME1 shields don’t block powers anymore, making gameplay closer to the lore,
4.second playthrough resource bonus increased to 500000, making planet scanning unnecessary,
5.planet scanning speed is equal as when the scanner is not active,
6.money bonus from imported savegame moved to second playthrough bonus category to make it available in NG+,
7.Geth Pulse Rifle damage 2.5x of original value, this ups its DPS to the same level as the Avenger Rifle's (originally Geth Pulse Rifle's base damage and DPS are the lowest of all the equipable guns in the game),
8.enemy shields and barriers (not armor) set as rechargable to remove player’s unfair advantage over AI,
9.shields don’t absorb full damage on break anymore (example; before, having 1 shield point would absorb any ammount of damage on last hit before reducing health),
10.added 20 top rated male face presets and 30 top rated female presets, faces codes from Masseffect2faces.com
11.all ingame cinematics set as skippable. (NOTE: although all cinematics are set as skippable, some of them ignore settings from ini file and can't be skipped in game. Can't do anything about it, the game decides by itself in this case)
12.logo cinematics disabled

http://www.moddb.com/mods/flashs-mass-effect-2-mod1

That mod looks awesome I am definately going to grab it for my second playthrough which I havent got around to yet.
InAUGral

Story Teller

Unread postby a3gis » 19 Sep 11, 9:32 am

Marius wrote:I'm more interested in how much story continuity will be present from ME2.

I hope they don't use a deus ex to 'resolve' some things. Like Garrus mysteriously coming back to life in my game.

pretty sure they've stated if someone died in ME2, and you still had your save file, they'll be dead in ME3
a3gis

Jedi Upstart

Next

Return to News:: General