Indie Review: Hacker Evolution

General news and announcements

Indie Review: Hacker Evolution

Unread postby News Portal » 28 Sep 10, 8:11 am

This review of [app=2181]Hacker Evolution[/app] is unusual for two reasons. The first is that, since the entire game takes place on a single screen, I’m going to use an annotated screenshot to help illustrate its rather complicated game mechanics. The second is that it’s also a review of Hacker Evolution: Untold, which is more or less identical to Hacker Evolution, except it’s green and not quite as difficult.

Read full article by Daniel Staines
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: Indie Review: Hacker Evolution

Unread postby Linxus » 28 Sep 10, 10:10 am

Have you ever played Introversion's Uplink? Another hacking based game, but with somewhat different mechanics (at the very least you were encouraged to build a long bounce path with unlimited re-use). Quite liked it, and byt he sounds of it, these two sound like they could very easily appeal to the same nerdy side of me :P.
Linxus

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby vcatkiller » 28 Sep 10, 10:59 am

Actually I've always been meaning to ask how this compares to Uplink, since I've played the daylights out of that game. Uplink is great in how it keeps the stress levels high during the hacking process. Even once you've upgraded your system out the wahoo you still end up on the edge of your seat during the more tense missions.

This looks kind of similar but kind of different.
vcatkiller

Story Teller

Unread postby Dan Staines » 28 Sep 10, 11:47 am

I loved Uplink, which is exactly why I wanted to check out this game. As far as comparisons go, I'd say HE isn't as accessible as Uplink, but is ultimately more satisfying. Basically, if you liked Uplink but thought it was a bit easy (and repetitive), then you'll definitely get a kick out of this.
Dan Staines

Contributor

Unread postby coatsy22 » 28 Sep 10, 1:46 pm

I was about to ask how this compares to uplink too :D

I'm not sure why all the reviews of this game make absolutely no mention of or comparisson to uplink, since from the screen-shots and description this sounds like a blatant copy.

My question is if you thought uplink was pretty mediocre, and got bored after the first 2 hours when the novelty wore off (like me), does this game do anything that makes it stand out over and above uplink, or is it just refinement of the same gameplay and only applicable to fans of uplink?
coatsy22

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Dan Staines » 28 Sep 10, 2:00 pm

I think this is a deeper game than Uplink: the mechanics are slightly more complex, and there's more variety between missions. Uplink tells a better story, but let's be honest: nobody plays these games for the story. At least nobody I know.
Dan Staines

Contributor

Unread postby DaJenko » 30 Sep 10, 12:09 am

Look like they have an option to get the source along with the game :shock:
DaJenko

Regular

Return to News:: General