Über Review - Brütal Legend

General news and announcements

Über Review - Brütal Legend

Unread postby News Portal » 20 Oct 09, 8:07 am

Tim Schafer makes amazing games. And nobody buys them. Brütal Legend is not going to be one of those games. Yes, it is amazing, but after reading our Uber Review (so called because of it's length), you're going to do your bit to help make the gaming world a better place. Even if you don't know your Sanctuary from your Judas Priest, you will love Brütal Legend, and you will buy it. Geddit? Good.

Read full article by Dan Staines
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: Über Review - Brütal Legend

Unread postby toe2toe » 20 Oct 09, 9:20 am

Telling people that they must buy a game, even if done facetiously, is kind of a dick thing to do.

I get that the writer of this review no doubt loves his heavy metal, and really enjoyed this game... but a little objectivity and pragmatism can go a long way.

I played this game at a mates house yesterday, and to me, it's no more than a solid 7 out of 10 game, and certainly not something i'd consider a "must-buy", especially considering the quality of games that launch soon/recently (Uncharted 2, anyone?).
I was here before you.
toe2toe

has a trophy rank. Shiny!

Unread postby Bronze_D » 20 Oct 09, 9:29 am

personally i think it was a great game, a fun ride from start to end except for some of the side missions which gets really repetitive after a while.

but i agree, maintaining some form of objectivity on the review would be a prudent course... it wouldn't affect those already liking the game by much, but on others it would likely spark a less than positive feeling since a review becomes less convincing when it loses objectivity.
Bronze_D

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby Bennett Ring » 20 Oct 09, 10:16 am

I think you're missing the point of why we're imploring folks to buy this game. Gamers are continually complaining how originality in game design is dead, yet Tim's earlier masterpieces were overlooked by buyers. Despite his games receiving critical acclaim, gamers just didn't get it.

This is our way of thwacking gamers in the face with the buy stick, in the hopes that this game will actually sell well, and that designers like Tim can continue to create new games, rather than us having only Call of Warfare 13 to play.

Sometimes subtlety isn't the best approach.
"The Gaming Den"
4.5GHz i5, GTX580, 8GB DDR3; PS3; 360; PLV-Z2000 HD projector; Pioneer VSX-LX51; Paradigm Cinema C90 5.1 speakers; Fanatec Porsche GT3 + Warthog; TrackIR5
Bennett Ring

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby AlanMoore » 20 Oct 09, 10:18 am

Could someone post a link to an objective review please?

Thanks.
AlanMoore

Official Newsbot

Unread postby Bennett Ring » 20 Oct 09, 10:44 am

taniane wrote:It's f!$king awesome. If you do not buy it then everything in your general direction must die.

(I hate metal music BTW)

\m/ \m/
"The Gaming Den"
4.5GHz i5, GTX580, 8GB DDR3; PS3; 360; PLV-Z2000 HD projector; Pioneer VSX-LX51; Paradigm Cinema C90 5.1 speakers; Fanatec Porsche GT3 + Warthog; TrackIR5
Bennett Ring

1337 p0st3r

Unread postby bset » 20 Oct 09, 11:15 am

This game just oozes character and is a testament to creativity - it just falls short on delivery.

It falls a bit flat from being an 8 or 9/10 game due to the strange mix of RTS/Action slammed (well, it's not really slammed since the system itself is so well thought out) in to it but it's the vision of this game that really makes it so amazing, I think. If you visit all the "landmark" scenery and just think about the various forms of "metal" displayed in this game - that detail and attention to game planning is clear.

I actually picked it up expecting it just to be an action game and I would have been much happier with that to be honest, haha. Still a great game though, I'd be giving it an 8 out of 10 =)
bset

Regular

Unread postby toe2toe » 20 Oct 09, 12:17 pm

Bennett Ring wrote:Gamers are continually complaining how originality in game design is dead

Are we? As a collective whole? I must have missed that memo.

I for one think game design is a process of evolution.

Look at Uncharted 2. One of the best games, if not the best game this year. It is by far the most widely and critically acclaimed game of the year. And yet, it has very little originality. Rather, it takes previously introduced concepts and improves upon them.
I was here before you.
toe2toe

has a trophy rank. Shiny!

Unread postby exe3 » 20 Oct 09, 12:28 pm

is it like Battlezone? :P

Bennett Ring wrote:I think you're missing the point of why we're imploring folks to buy this game. Gamers are continually complaining how originality in game design is dead, yet Tim's earlier masterpieces were overlooked by buyers. Despite his games receiving critical acclaim, gamers just didn't get it.

this (even though i'm one of them :P ) but I agree about the comments of objectivity :/ should've left the whole 'buy this game now!' comment as a tongue in cheek conclusion

I wanna get it, i'm one of those that want to play something different but alas, no moneyz :( I still haven't gotten Force Unleashed cuz i'm waiting for the price to be down :/
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby RogerTheIncredible » 20 Oct 09, 2:57 pm

The 'Buy this game' at the end read as very tongue in cheek to me...
RogerTheIncredible

Story Teller

Unread postby 1atromm1 » 20 Oct 09, 3:36 pm

who... cares? Game reviews are both objective AND subjective. In the end its a person reviewing it who has personal tastes, ideals etc. No one's really forcing you to buy it. Read the review and just ignore the 'Buy this game' - there's your objective content if its just that you're after.
1atromm1

Padawan

Unread postby Dan Staines » 20 Oct 09, 4:06 pm

Hey,

First of all: hello! Nice to meet you all.

Secondly, I make no apologies for my lack of objectivity. I don't think reviews can be objective in any meaningful sense of the term. A review is an opinion piece, and any writer who thinks they're being objective when they share their opinions is either a fool or deluded. It doesn't matter how many indefinite pronouns you use - "one finds this game most pleasing" - it's still you that's talking.

And yep, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with that last paragraph, but I'm still quite serious about wanting people to buy this game. I love it to death, so of course I think everyone should buy it. I want to see more games like it.
Dan Staines

Contributor

Next

Return to News:: General