Check Out the Gigs on That: Origin's ''The Big O''

News and announcements relating the latest gaming hardware

Check Out the Gigs on That: Origin's ''The Big O''

Unread postby News Portal » 30 Sep 10, 3:56 am

Around here we like to talk up our rigs, and in particular, how little we spent while assembling our mighty machines.

Forget all that. Let's see how much we can throw at this.

Take a look at Origin's latest offering, which rejoices in the designation of The Big O, and features Xeon X5680s, GeForce GTX 480s, full liquid cooling, a built-in Xbox 360 console, and a $10,699 - $22,799 price tag.

Read full article by Brenna Hillier
News Portal

News news news news news...

Re: Check Out the Gigs on That: Origin's ''The Big O''

Unread postby Crocadrilla » 30 Sep 10, 5:45 am

Is there a point these days? most games are console ports now so you'd never get to use half the power. The days of power PC games are over...crysis 2, BF3 even stalker 2 is going to be console.

The only future for pc now is mod community, because consoles will probelly have mouse support soon (ps3 already does). You dont need super computers for mods. I guess you can do alot of folding at home and braggin, but thats it.

Can anyone give me a reason to need this pc these days?
Crocadrilla

Padawan

Unread postby holo` » 30 Sep 10, 6:38 am

Product Website: "#Audio * On board Audio"

Lol. Even though most of the pci-e slots are taken by gpus, you'd think that they'd be aware that a gamer would want a dedicated soundcard in a machine with dual xeons.

Ignoring the fact that the machine is complete and utter overkill for any domestic purpose, some people will probably buy it.
holo`

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Bronze_D » 30 Sep 10, 7:55 am

Crocadrilla wrote:Is there a point these days? most games are console ports now so you'd never get to use half the power. The days of power PC games are over...crysis 2, BF3 even stalker 2 is going to be console.

The only future for pc now is mod community, because consoles will probelly have mouse support soon (ps3 already does). You dont need super computers for mods. I guess you can do alot of folding at home and braggin, but thats it.

Can anyone give me a reason to need this pc these days?

? is that the limit of ur knowledge of what mods are? maps with mutation? that's it? And is that all the games for PC you play?

well... if all you are interested is FPS, then sure consoles will have it as well most likely (though how many games did u think PS3 had that supported mice? no really... count them, or the lack rather)

unless of course you buy a FRAGFX.
Bronze_D

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby Crocadrilla » 30 Sep 10, 8:21 am

is that the limit of ur knowledge of what mods are? maps with mutation? that's it?

Not sure where you read that? i meant MODS...you know like games with un tried and tested elements, not maps. And also independent stuff too I guess, like that game the portal people did. Anyway i know ps3 hasnt many mouse games, just saying its not something consoles cannot do.

You missed my point anyway, that is there will probelly never be another game like crysis 1 (that is requiring a super computer). Lets you and me hope im wrong.
Crocadrilla

Padawan

Unread postby Bronze_D » 30 Sep 10, 8:31 am

there never was any need for a super computers for games in general, Crysis was one of the very few that ever needed one (and frankly more because it's unoptimized)... btw, do try and count the number of games on PS3 that supports mouse or let's count the number of PS2 games that supported it (yes amazing isn't it, PS2 supported mouse) in it's long history of games.

ONE, i am looking at you vincent. Wonderful...

Back to the matter, point being ANYONE who uses a super computer for gaming are one of the two things most likely if not both,

rich **** loaded with money
and/or
hardcore enthusiast who wants nothing less than super.

This thing was NEVER meant for you or me average joe. Back when premium rigs were starting to appear and consoles are barely a speck, the target audience for the rigs were not average joe either. Never was, never will. So if you actually had to THINK why you need this hardware or that hardware, or actually worry of it's cost... then it's safe to say you were never the target audience of this thing.

But let's give it an example shall we? What could they be looking for in a super computer? is it JUST to RUN the game?

Bloody hell no, if you got a super computer then you want to run the game in nothing less than gargantuan resolutions, 60FPS+ minimum, maximum FSAA, maximum AF, and everything from ambient light occlusion to particle effects cranked to the maximum. In short? the kind of settings that will kill any console and lesser PC instantly. It's the whole bloody point why such monster rig existed.
Bronze_D

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby 10dollars » 30 Sep 10, 9:43 am

I'd buy it if I had the money to blow on a computer.
i5 2500K @ 4GHz. Gigabyte Z68X UD4-B3. Corsair 1600 DDR3 16GB RAM. Crucial m4 256GB. 2 x MSI GTX 680 SLI.

10dollars

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby steve_rogers42 » 30 Sep 10, 10:40 am

I think for something like this, you'd nearly want it for high end user or businesses.

It's funny, Origin are relativly new over here, so its pretty funny they are pushing or making something like this... i dont really know anyone over here that wouldnt be able to make something like this up themselves for a fair bit cheaper, but as i've been posting in my thread in the tech forums, really that extra cash spent comes in handy when things go wrong.

since this thing is packing the best of EVGA's products, i'd dare say you want that backup behind you. (its packing an SR-2 mobo, and 4 480 FTW hydro coppers)

i wouldnt mind giving it a go, but i'd still like a high spec builder or even mobo manufacturer to come up with an x58 board that allows for better system integration, or a move back to single slot gpu's.

lol, as for what you'd run on a thing like this... well, rendering and editing comes to mind, along with multitasking to the max.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
steve_rogers42

Tech Moderator

Unread postby Partybear » 30 Sep 10, 11:14 am

My computer cost about $350 and it can run all games better then my xbox 360.
Partybear

Regular

Unread postby Ball0fire » 30 Sep 10, 11:21 am

holo` wrote:Product Website: "#Audio * On board Audio"

Lol. Even though most of the pci-e slots are taken by gpus, you'd think that they'd be aware that a gamer would want a dedicated soundcard in a machine with dual xeons.

hehe true that
and these days you get sound cards on pci-e 1x which just happens to have one above the first video card slot, sooo you should be able ot put one in just fine, unless having quad sli uses up all the pcie bandwidth and yah cant run it :?
Ball0fire

Unread postby Bronze_D » 30 Sep 10, 12:59 pm

assuming of course that you can fit it, what with the heat pipes all over the internal space.
Bronze_D

Never goes to sleep

Unread postby holo` » 30 Sep 10, 1:11 pm

Actually, wouldn't you be able to run the audio from the HDMI port on the GPUs, straight to a receiver of your choice?
holo`

Unread postby IronM@sk » 30 Sep 10, 3:13 pm

holo` wrote:Actually, wouldn't you be able to run the audio from the HDMI port on the GPUs, straight to a receiver of your choice?

Doesn't change the fact it's still onboard audio.
IronM@sk

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby gmcleod » 30 Sep 10, 4:25 pm

This rig would go great with the very expensive QuadHD medical imaging monitors i want to buy when i get rich. They're basically 3840x2160 resolution, and can display 4 different 1080p inputs at the same time. Used in hospitals or where ever people need super high def medical imaging, so i can see people in those kinds of business' getting rigs like this to do things. Might actually be cheaper than a 'super computer'.
gmcleod

Padawan

Unread postby 10dollars » 30 Sep 10, 4:40 pm

Wasn't that long ago Xeons were mainly for servers.
They're a great CPU, wouldn't be surprised if more people start using them for day-to-day stuff.

If only SuperMicro made some gaming Mobos.....
i5 2500K @ 4GHz. Gigabyte Z68X UD4-B3. Corsair 1600 DDR3 16GB RAM. Crucial m4 256GB. 2 x MSI GTX 680 SLI.

10dollars

Jedi Upstart

Next

Return to News:: Hardware