Game of Thrones Season 2

Forum for the discussions of all things media related

Re: Game of Thrones Season 2

Unread postby Auld » 10 Apr 12, 4:16 pm

exe3 wrote:^ lol

Seen the first two eps and so far i'm enjoying it more than the first season, maybe it's because now that things have settled down I know what the show is about and I don't get annoyed while following and inv/cesting (trololol) in a certain family that suddenly gets forgotten/killed/split apart.

Tyrion wins at everything as usual. :D The Yara/Asha scene on the horse was weird lol.

The only problems i've had so far in regards to understanding characters is in regards to Stannis. Stannis seemed to be put up as a significant character yet so far he's barely been explained, I still barely know who or what the red haired woman is and they mention his wife once yet nothing has gone into her character let alone giving her any screen time. I just feel that the Stannis part of the story so far has been very poorly handled. I barely know who he is, what drives him, nor the characters that surround him except the guy who spoke with the pirate and two episodes in you should know a lot more than what they've explained so far. I know more about the seaside king and his daughter in a single short scene than I do about Stannis and his group ffs.

Also I don't want to violently murder anyone for any reason which is an epic plus.

Also I agree about watching the show/movie first as you'll be gaining more story when going from show to book.

To be fair, thats pretty much how Stannis is introduced to you in the book as well. You get told very little about him and his motives, he is a character that is explained as time goes on.

The book only explains that he is a seasoned warrior, a decent(great?) tactician and has an iron rod up his ****. He does everything properly. Not Ned Stark with compassion properly, but absolutely by the book properly even if it pisses people off and **** on his friends. And most of this is through the eyes of Davos and other characters, Stannis doesn't *actually* feature all that much.
book.
Hidden: show
For example Davos, saved Stannis from starving during a siege and in return was made a knight. But he was also a smuggler so Stannis cut of the top of his fingers as punishment. Its whats in the leather bag around Davos' neck.

You don't want to see Joffrey violently murdered?
Last edited by Auld on 11 Apr 12, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auld

Story Teller

Unread postby exe3 » 10 Apr 12, 4:28 pm

Oh? This thread made it seem like the show was skipping a lot of what was in the book so I assumed Stannis is suppose to be much more active.
Especially since he apparently wins the war.

Auld wrote:You don't want to see Joffrey violently murdered?

It's gone from me wanting to personally slowly slice off his limbs one millimeter at a time to increase all possible pain (though my feelings were more towards his mother last season) and more towards 'this guy is pure evil, can't wait for the good guys to pwn him!'
*Insert negative stuff here.*

"..hiding your [story] beneath endless layers of confusion doesn’t make you an artist, it just makes people think you are."- Gameshadow
exe3

Forum Bot

Unread postby Auld » 10 Apr 12, 6:55 pm

Hah, nothing happens how you assume in a GRRM novel :)
Auld

Story Teller

Unread postby Plev » 10 Apr 12, 7:07 pm

Auld wrote:Hah, nothing happens how you assume in a GRRM novel :)

well said sir well said! i started reading the 4th book... A Feast For Crows... grew really bored with it cuz it was from the (no offence here) womens perspective. but from what i know book 4 and 5 where split up like that so you dont really miss whats going on... book 5 Dance With Dragons continues straight after book 3 Storm Of Swords. Still am enjoying the tv show as much as the book cause what i see on the tv i can relate to with what has happened in the books. Ive never been a big book reader only when my wife stopped me from buying the odd
"mens" mags to save some moolah and started visiting the local library. Now i cant keep these books put down! Bring on episode 3!

book spoiler :-
Cant wait to see the battle with the massive chain and the wildfire! oh and tyrions "misformed" nose!
Plev

Padawan

Unread postby Auld » 10 Apr 12, 7:14 pm

book.
yeah one of the books got pretty bogged down, I dont think it was boring cause it was from a womens perspective. I think it got boring cause who cares about the Yunkai/Ghiscari etc.

TV and book
I doubt they'll deform Tyrion for two reasons. 1. Its too hard/expensive in terms of CGI and make-up AND 2.apart from people having another thing to give him **** for is easily left out without detracting from the story. Like Biter still having a nose in the series, he's still a creepy **** :)
Last edited by Auld on 11 Apr 12, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Auld

Story Teller

Unread postby Nekosan » 10 Apr 12, 10:19 pm

My guess is that Tyrion will get a nice face scar rather than losing most of his nose.

re them not explaining Stannis:
The way it's explained in the book is that Stannis is the archetypal perfect king, he's the most fit to lead but unfortunately the people don't love him (unlike Robert), he seems to have a Chevy Chase style personality and can just piss people off without ever intending to, the back story is as follows:

Stannis stubbornness and determination are legendary and served him well during Robert's Rebellion, when he successfully held his childhood home of Storm's End against Mace Tyrell's siege under desperate conditions.[2] His garrison only avoided starvation, thanks to the timely intervention of a smuggler, Davos Seaworth, with a cargo of onions, which allowed After the siege was lifted by Lord Eddard Stark, Stannis took Davos Seaworth into his service, dubbing him "The Onion Knight."

king Robert charged Stannis with leading a fleet to capture Dragonstone, which was still loyal to the Targaryens at that point. After completing the mission, Stannis was displeased to discover the King Robert had named him Lord of Dragonstone, instead of the wealthier Storm's End, which was given to their younger brother Renly, who haven't done anything of true note during the war.

Basically that's why Stannis is so pissy all the time, he feels that Storm's End should have been his because not only did he earn it, but he's the oldest son after Robert.
Nekosan

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby skitzor » 10 Apr 12, 10:42 pm

it's happening again. :<

can people please label the spoilers (TV or book)? I don't want to accidentally read some book spoilers. all these hidden tags and I can't read any of them.
skitzor

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby Auld » 11 Apr 12, 7:15 am

skitzor wrote:it's happening again. :<

can people please label the spoilers (TV or book)? I don't want to accidentally read some book spoilers. all these hidden tags and I can't read any of them.

Theyre all spoilers, it why theyre hidden. 0_o

I'll go back and label mine, but my recommendation would be to avoid them all in the future.

Book
I don't know about Stannis' being the perfect King, you have to have the love of the people to be truly successful. He has also converted to a foreign religion, that wouldn't go down well in King's Landing. He's definitely the best pick of the bunch though......although having said that I can't see why Renly wouldn't have made a good king.
Auld

Story Teller

Game of Thrones Season 2

Unread postby Dean » 11 Apr 12, 8:46 am

Hidden tags aren't displayed on tapatalk !
Dean

Story Teller

Unread postby Auld » 11 Apr 12, 8:48 am

Dean wrote:Hidden tags aren't displayed on tapatalk !

ouch :*(
Auld

Story Teller

Unread postby Bek » 11 Apr 12, 9:29 am

Auld wrote:Theyre all spoilers, it why theyre hidden. 0_o

Yes but not everyone has read the books, yet would still like to talk about the TV show with spoilers for those who haven't seen that episode yet.
What can change the nature of a man?
Bek

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Nightstaar » 11 Apr 12, 11:20 am

This is a thread about the TV show. If you're not going to label the spoilers, make another thread.
Nightstaar

Story Teller

Unread postby Auld » 11 Apr 12, 11:32 am

Colsey wrote:This is a thread about the TV show. If you're not going to label the spoilers, make another thread.

Because it has nothing to do with the book, and discussing how they differ is completely off topic. :roll:

Honestly, I was simply suggesting that the only way to avoid spoilers is to not click on the hiddens. I am more than happy to label or do whatever else is reasonable to save people's enjoyment. I was not aware that the practice had been suggested earlier and I've gone back and edited my posts.
Auld

Story Teller

Unread postby Rodimus86 » 11 Apr 12, 11:33 am

Colsey wrote:This is a thread about the TV show. If you're not going to label the spoilers, make another thread.

Exactly, just like they have on OCAU.
Sent from my AWSM-PT4T0 using ImaDouche 4.7
Rodimus86

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Chucky » 13 Apr 12, 6:06 am

Game Of Thrones Season 3 confirmed: http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/10/game- ... renewed-3/

Not that we didn't all expect that anyway :P
Chucky

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, TV, Books and Music