Guitarists around on these forums?

Forum for the discussions of all things media related

Re: Guitarists around on these forums?

Unread postby bishopoz » 20 Sep 12, 9:44 am

nah im not gonna be playing gigs or anything lol , just bashing at home n with mates , as i said mainly metal/punk/hardcore i'll be playing , suppose i'll just hold out for a good amp when i can grab 1 , might go check out some guitars this w/e though.
bishopoz

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby diamondd » 20 Sep 12, 1:10 pm

whoops, I missed that lol

well in that case you can't really go wrong with a hard-tail Ibanez of some sort. They come in various configs but all you really need is a bridge humbucker and you'll be pretty set. I personally prefer Jackson guitars so have a look at those too (and ESP/LTD are popular and good too but I'm less of a fan).

here are some examples of what I think you should be looking for:
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-AU/pro ... 2916100576
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_pag ... ries_id=72
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-s ... 351nt.html

so notice the types of pickups and the bridge, look for them (hard-tail + humbuckers) and don't cheap out. For example, I'm not sure how much that LTD h-351 actually costs, but I know the h-50 will be cheaper and I also know that the 50's series are ****. So aim a little higher then negotiate a lower price at the store.

same with amps, its a never ending money pit screwing around with <=$500 amps that all sound **** anyway so its probably not worth it. Amps are just stupidly expensive, which is annoying but the good ones are pretty awesome so you may as well wait lol.
diamondd

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby bishopoz » 20 Sep 12, 2:12 pm

cheers mate , yeah might just hold out for awhile n get a few lessons first before i decide what to spend money on , i still know fk all lol when you mention stuff with humbuckers n pickups im just like wtf? lol def need a few lessons to point me in the right direction and get my head around it all , its all an overload for my small head atm.

all just seems so overwhelmingly hard atm , when i got the first chord chart i was like wow wtf how am i gonna learn all those chords lol ive just been picking up little bits everyday but... its something im keen as to learn though , so im gonna stick with it , even if it takes me 10 years to play half decent lol

got this beginner book with a dvd but even some of that goes over my head , guess i just need to sit down with a teacher get all the basics down n go from there.
bishopoz

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby diamondd » 20 Sep 12, 2:47 pm

well yeah, 2-3 months is not a long time anyway. If you're sure you want to keep going then there's no reason why you can't get a new guitar, but I had my cheap-arse starter pack guitar for 3 years before I bought a new one.

buying a better guitar won't make you a better guitarist, neither will a bad guitar stop you from becoming a good guitarist. A better guitar just gives you a warmer fuzzier feeling than a cheap one lol.
diamondd

Unread postby bishopoz » 13 Oct 12, 8:37 am

picked up an ibanez rgr321 yesterday , pretty stoked with it , sounds freakin great compared to the cheapo ive got , feels so much better , its motivated me to play heaps now :D

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_pag ... ries_id=72
bishopoz

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Mearehear » 13 Oct 12, 8:50 am

One of my first guitars was an Ibanez, remember it fondly. That one looks nice!
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby diamondd » 13 Oct 12, 10:07 am

nice, its a very well respected piece of gear that :)
diamondd

Unread postby Sub_Xero » 20 Oct 12, 6:41 pm

Haha wow, didn't know this thread was still going, nor can I believe I remembered my password! Amazing.

I'm upgrading to a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MKII. Also using an iBanez RGK series in matte black. Sound's like a champion!

Admin Edit: Partial post removed as per my previous PM.
Sub_Xero

Player

Unread postby korbain » 21 Dec 12, 7:03 pm

Recorded up a new song a few weeks ago, nothing crazy, just something i put together over a few nights. Did the bass, both guitars and drums :) a few other songs on my soundcloud as well.

https://soundcloud.com/korbaink7/tranquility
korbain

Padawan

Unread postby Bol7z » 26 Dec 12, 2:32 am

more parkway (again)
Bol7z

has a custom rank

Unread postby MuscularTeeth » 11 Feb 13, 4:09 pm

I decided i wanted to play guitar just before my little lass was born.
I stole my dads cardboard guitar (i have no idea what brand it is - someone lent it to him, i know its cheap) and started teaching myself.I havent looked at any tutorials or books or videos.
Im just teaching myself.
Here is an improv thing i was playing with last night - more than a few mistakes, but im really happy so far how ive progressed in 9months of just intermittant dabbling.
i never had a pluck so i use my fingers.

https://soundcloud.com/muscularteeth/mu ... v-practice

i find it thoroughly entrancing to make your own sounds on the fly. very different from the electronica realm i usually live in.
MUSCULARTEETH - Many things, mostly to do with Art.
MuscularTeeth

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby vanderlan » 11 Feb 13, 9:22 pm

Wow. To play like that after 9 months, well done. I've been playing for about 12/13 years now and I wished I sounded like that at 9 months :D

I love finger picking style, I grow my nails a fair bit to play John Butler songs and the like, it's awesome fun. Keep at it!
vanderlan

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby Mearehear » 12 Feb 13, 1:02 am

Nice progress MT :) I miss playing at the moment, don't have a guitar at the moment now but planning on coming back to it in the near future, then I post post something.

Seeing as I dont have something to show, here is a tune by my brother who has played since he was around 6. Hopefully that link works
Mearehear

Game Admin

Unread postby Hotblack » 12 Feb 13, 7:50 am

All you need now is a better guitar
Hotblack

Jedi Upstart

Unread postby bishopoz » 14 Feb 13, 10:58 am

i so need an accoustic guitar :)... , thats pretty good after 9 months mt and no tutorials or anything...

iv'e been going ok , been about 8 months now , have stopped playing everyday lately , just havnt had time or motivation , starting to belt out some stuff though , mainly hardcore and punk tunes , just easy for me and fun to play , learning wreckage by parkway atm, most of its pretty basic , still having trouble with my strumming though :roll: gotta get a camera to , be handy to improve i guess.
bishopoz

Jedi Upstart

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, TV, Books and Music