Sony reportedly patents anti-used game tech

Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony consoles chat!

Re: Sony reportedly patents anti-used game tech

Unread postby Matty » 21 Jan 13, 8:53 am

But with steam is a trade off, you get benefits at the cost of other freedoms. Where as no consumer benefits from this debacle.
Homercles care not for beans.
Matty

Forum Bot

Unread postby Cas Bitton » 21 Jan 13, 9:11 am

Matty wrote:Where as no consumer benefits from this debacle.

I'd argue that if you wanted to play the developers game and the only way to get it was "new", they would receive a higher amount in revenue from new sales and increase the likely hood of us seeing a sequel/better titles from them in the future.

As a consumer, you would potentially get to receive more of what you like. That's a benefit.
Follow us: Image Image Image
Cas Bitton

Dos Capas

Unread postby blymn » 22 Jan 13, 9:04 pm

So you would think but there is a flip side to that - most of the time people trade in games to buy a new release game. If that avenue is closed off then some may not buy a new game at all which means less first sales of new games. Also, a lot of the people that buy secondhand games may not buy a new game because they either can't or don't want to pay the full price and are content/resigned to waiting for it to come up secondhand for a discount.

So, rather than forcing more people to buy new games it may, in fact, have just the opposite effect or even increase the piracy rate.
blymn

Forgotten What The Sky Looks Like

Unread postby PalZer0 » 23 Jan 13, 2:27 pm

What Cas says may be true but that also comes at the cost of destroying the business of retailers like EB (who the very same publishers always blame for the price jacking on digital distribution services like Steam, GMG and others).

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
DRM is like kids. The less you have, the better.

Twitter | Facebook | Steam | Xfire | Raptr
3DS Friend Code: 5386-8114-8658
PalZer0

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Fireslide » 23 Jan 13, 2:40 pm

I have no issue with businesses like EB being destroyed in much the same way I don't feel bad that video rental stores are being destroyed, nor do I mind that countless other businesses and industries with outdated business models have been and will continue to be destroyed by advances in technology.
Fireslide

Unread postby PalZer0 » 23 Jan 13, 2:49 pm

Fireslide wrote:I have no issue with businesses like EB being destroyed in much the same way I don't feel bad that video rental stores are being destroyed, nor do I mind that countless other businesses and industries with outdated business models have been and will continue to be destroyed by advances in technology.

It's not so much the fact that EB and the like will be destroyed by this move. It's more so the fact that the publishers then go and say that they need to price jack Aussies on digital distribution to keep those same retailers in business. That's where the hypocrisy lies.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
DRM is like kids. The less you have, the better.

Twitter | Facebook | Steam | Xfire | Raptr
3DS Friend Code: 5386-8114-8658
PalZer0

Offline? What's 'offline'?

Unread postby Toll Meyer » 23 Mar 13, 7:50 pm

blymn wrote:So you would think but there is a flip side to that - most of the time people trade in games to buy a new release game. If that avenue is closed off then some may not buy a new game at all which means less first sales of new games. Also, a lot of the people that buy secondhand games may not buy a new game because they either can't or don't want to pay the full price and are content/resigned to waiting for it to come up secondhand for a discount.

So, rather than forcing more people to buy new games it may, in fact, have just the opposite effect or even increase the piracy rate.

Which is me. Most games I won't buy on release and will wait till they drop, unless I can trade some unwanted games in. Borderlands 2 and ghost recon are the only exceptions to me buying on ps3/psn as at the time I couldn't walk more than 20m without needing serious painkillers. Feel ripped about ghost recon as it would have been sold on eBay if it wasn't digital and on the hdd.

Generally I don't want to pay full price as my attention span can fade really quickly with games. Devils cartel could have been an exception but the demo felt clunky and slower than the other two, despite them taking things out to make it faster...

Psn really need to have a better look at what they are doing. Full price charging and then a major chunk of my download quota really steers me away. I think there was an article in the tabloid Herald Sun today about price gouging with software. Anyone read it?
"Launch Codes? Like missiles and sh!t"
Toll Meyer

Padawan

Previous

Return to Console Chat