The ‘Second Wave’ DLC for XCOM: Enemy Unknown is set to launch today, bringing with it a bunch of new options to allow you to customise your game.
Many of the options have already been discovered by anxious modders poking around in the innards of the game, but activating them always caused something to break. Well, break no more! Lead Designer Jake Solomon said in an interview with Polygon that the idea of the changes was to allow players to play the game closer to the original vision, with many of the options simply not being balance-able in the time before ship.
The full list of options can be found below.
- Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
- New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
- Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
- Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
- Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier’s mission stats.
- Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
- The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
- Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
- Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
- High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
- Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
- More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.
The following four options are only available once the game is completed on Impossible difficulty:
- War Weariness: Funding goes down over time.
- E-115: Elerium degrades over time.
- Total Loss: Lose all soldier gear upon death.
- Alternate Sources: The power source cost to build facilities increases dramatically.
If that’s still not enough for you, why not check out this roundup of the top XCOM mods?