We have been working hard to make games.on.net the number one destination for gamers in Australia, and we agree that there is still a significant amount left on our plate to address.
If you have critical ideas or suggestions that can be considered we would love to know, — bonus points if you’re a developer yourself, and it’s possible to assist us in seeing those ideas come to life. So please do leave your comments below for discussion or for a more direct approach, via our contact page.
Let’s get into it!
Game servers and Network:
- Major upgrade and migration of games.on.net and 3FL infrastructure into TCAdmin 2 management system,
- Possibilities are endless with an extensive feature set that will see the games.on.net server environment scale with ease.
- Further develop our relationship with gameservers.com
- Our most recent accomplishment is delivering unmetered BO2 access to all iiNet Group customers!
- Automation and server management enhancements utilising both TCAdmin 2 and gameservers.com technologies to deliver the most reliable game server experience in Australia.
- Continued enhancement of Internode CDN to benefit the delivery of Steam Content.
- Internode has worked closely with Valve to deliver the vast and incredible content offered on Steam via the Internode Content Delivery Network. Utilising our CDN allows iiNet Group customer’s exclusive access and the fastest way to download unmetered content directly from Steam.
- Re-establish and Integrate stats.games.on.net into regular games.on.net website, along with all 3FL servers.
- Establish accurate current server listing page, with statistics to display slots, peak, players etc
- Open API connecting directly to our game servers
- Day/Week/Month Peak and active player counts, for each game type/overall
- Google chart api use or similar for displaying metrics
- Integration of each game listed to our file library
- Automatic and dynamically updating, the old site server page was manual to add/remove servers from the list (they did a basic query once configured)
- Server status: online/offline
And plenty more that is yet to be announced!
We’re working hard to ensure that games.on.net is the best PC gaming website in Australia, and we intend to keep pushing for that goal. You can expect an ever bigger focus on the PC into 2013, with more build guides, more tweak guides, and more hardware support and reviews.
We’re also looking at expanding our video content, and publishing more video reviews to give you a better idea of exactly how the game looks.
Finally, we’ll be scaling up our community involvement. The Community Soapbox section has been popular, but we’ll be doing more than that. Look forward to more Community Reviews, round-table discussions on issues, and more.
Community Game Nights and Steam Group:
As you may know, we’ve retired our unofficial but long-standing IRC channel, and moved our official admin support into Steam. There’s a number of reasons for this, including convenience, flexibility and ease of use.
We’re pleased to announce that since the change, membership in our Steam group has grown by 20%! We look forward to growing it even more.
So why should you join? Starting on 04/02/2013, we’ll be implementing the first of many Community Game Nights with a rousing session of Team Fortress 2. There’s nothing better than the games.on.net community spirit, and getting together to play games really highlights just what a great community we have.
We’ll also be looking at running regular Community VS. Admin Face-Offs — look for more information on those soon.
Competitions, and cheaper games for all Australians!
As you know, games.on.net recently announced our partnership with Green Man Gaming. Moving into 2013, we’ll be able to begin rolling out great deals for games.on.net members that allow you to bypass some of the world’s most inflated games prices and pay reasonable amounts for your games.
You can also look forward to more competitions in 2013. We’ve already been regularly giving away some fantastic hardware, and 2013 is going to be no different. In fact, it’s going to get even better.
We will continue to work hard on improving our file library, above and beyond our recent release. This will be improved and expand much further than a simple (extremely limited) search. We’re talking:
Improved search and navigation.
Alphabetical listings. Search the games.on.net file library by application title, using a clear A-Z list navigation menu. Browse by genre (Action, Sports, RPG), Company (Activision, EA, 2K Games), or Platform (PC, Mac, iOS, Xbox 360).
Put games.on.net to work for you, by utilising RSS Feeds for individual file, application and company pages the latest content is delivered instantly to you.
We will be offering dynamic RSS feeds for:
- Individual applications, listing the latest file content for specified application
- All file library content – Most recent
- Video and Multimedia content
- Game Demos
- Client Patches
- Full Game Clients
- Mods and Maps
- Most downloaded files – For current week/month
Look forward to a clear visual presentation of genre, platform, content type (video, mod, full game client etc). Search results and main file library listing will display content type to provide a visual marker to the visitor for visual cue.
At present the file library offers URLs in a very ugly and unfriendly manner for both customers and Google. For example a file URL such as this one: http://games.on.net/file/50521/ would become a little easier to decipher, into something such like: http://games.on.net/file/50521/World_of_Tanks_8.0_Update_Teaser_Trailer
We will also be rolling out this change for all Application and Company pages located in our library. For example: http://games.on.net/app/6709/ would be changed to: http://games.on.net/app/6709/World_of_Tanks
We’ve got a lot more coming up in 2013 than just what you see above, including some top-secret stuff we just can’t talk about yet. Stay tuned into next year for all the details.