Unknown whether Bethesda will release IP.
By Tim Colwill on August 28, 2012 at 8:30 am
Sad news this morning as Bethesda’s Pete Hines reveals in an interview that the company has pulled out of publishing Prey 2 entirely. Development on the title has been awash with troubles for many months now, with rumours of cancellations plaguing the title and the developers at Human Head Studio striking over concerns with their work contracts. Now it seems that Bethesda may have pulled the plug on the whole operation.
“I can be very clear about this,” says Hines. “At one point, we looked at Prey 2 and decided that in its current state, with all the money, time, and resources we put into it, it didn’t meet our expectations. So we decided to pull the plug from our end.”
As Bethesda owns the rights to the Prey IP, there is unfortunately no chance of Human Head taking their work to a different publisher. It’s unclear at this point what will happen to the game, which is a damn shame as it was looking like something quite special. Human Head have not issued a statement.
UPDATE: Pete Hines has announced via Twitter that this is a translation error. “To clarify, I didn’t say Prey 2 was cancelled. Gave an interview in English, translated to Dutch, translated back to English (…) simply reiterated what we’ve said previously, which is that it’s not coming out this year.” Thanks, Eggheart.